Split: Drawing and Shading

Anything else
rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 16, 2007 2:31 am

I do as well - it's the original idea brought to paper and thus rocks.

I didn't want to be better or cooler. Everyone has his own style, it's fun to emphasize this that way.

Also, bored -> Gimp -> [ ... time passes ... ]

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:35 am

Anybody considered what I, or even David himself, said?!

Rudel wins by the way.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 16, 2007 3:07 am

Fanboyism is shining through in some posts, I think.

"Actually, he did pretty damn well on that considering how hard those brushes are to use sometimes." (O RLY? *click click* oops Undo *click* there you go)

"looks really profesional like" (mmmmnope)

"Artistically I much prefer David's version" (Wow, you're really an expert, I suppose. Now... What does artistically mean in this statement? Nothing?)

...what the hell? I suck hehe

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:14 am

Rudel's version looks pretty good on the upper body, with the details of the face and the arms. The legs look a bit too dark, though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 am

rudel_ic wrote:Fanboyism is shining through in some posts, I think.
Something I was thinking but did not say due to the probability that I would be labelled mean and difficult, as happens most times when i disagree with anyone.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Mainly because it's wrong. So if we prefer David's, the only possible reason for that could be that he's the creator-to-be of Lugaru 2? The fact that we prefer the second drawing isn't a possibility?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Brushes are not hard to use, it doesn't look professional and there's no extra artistical note in David's version.

It's perfectly okay to prefer David's pic, but reasoning like you guys do is fanboyism.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed May 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Wow, so much drama from a simple lesson on shading.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 pm

I was illustrating what I meant about large-scale volume shading, not trying to actually improve his drawing.

There are two things I wanted to talk about:

First, there is high-frequency and low-frequency shading. You can separate them using High Pass and Blur filters using an image processing program. Here are the high frequency and low frequency images:

Image Image

The original has very strong high frequency detail, but could use more contrast in terms of large-scale, low-frequency shading. This can help disambiguate confusing areas where shapes overlap, like where his hand covers his leg.

ImageImage

My picture is not meant to be a superior work of art... it is meant to show a way in which V-nix could improve his drawings. It doesn't mean I think I am better at drawing. I do the same thing all the time with artists on the Lugaru team. I am nowhere near as good at modeling or drawing as they are, but I can still see things that I think should be changed. I usually communicate these suggestions through "greenline" drawings like this one:

On a related note, if you want to, we could start a new thread that actually is a drawing contest. V-nix is probably frustrated that all of his posts seem to spawn controversy :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 16, 2007 6:13 pm

I'd love to, but I don't have a scanner or a pen-like input device. Just a mouse.

And a webcam - I could make a photo of my contest entry and then retouch it. Probably not the best way to try to win a contest.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:03 pm

rudel_ic wrote:It's perfectly okay to prefer David's pic, but reasoning like you guys do is fanboyism.
Apparently it's not, then. v_V

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 pm

If you say 'I like it moar', that's great. If you say 'I like it moar because I tend to prefer the post-neo-naturalistic influence in the blurriness of the probably selfmade brush that's also been used for saving the world', it's just not perfectly okay, you're right.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Wed May 16, 2007 9:56 pm

This art reminds me a lot of the stuff I used to do when I was just starting out. It is a great start.

David is right about using shadows to show the relationship of objects to each other. I decided to have a go at it to give a more complete example of what he was talking about:

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed May 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Ninjas wrote: *pic*
:shock:

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 16, 2007 11:34 pm

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about - difficult to make, artistically interesting and looking professional. You win.