THERE'S A REAL STORYLINE THIS TIME

HOLY
CRAP

(Sorry if slowpoke.jpg)

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Old news is OOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDD.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

They've been posting daily updates for a long time now. This game is going to be EPIC. I'm buying it the day it comes out.

I'd also like to say that I'm probably the best original N64 Super Smash Bros. player on the planet. I'm not kidding. I still play it weekly with my friends.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:15 pm

You say that as if the game's balanced.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:43 pm

Ultimatum479 wrote:You say that as if the game's balanced.
Oh bequietonabreadstick.

Breadstick?

Cmyszka

Post by Cmyszka » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Heheh... It's time like these where I take the chance to lean back andsay with all sincerity that I've never owned a video game console in my life. Not even a gameboy... HA!

...and yes. the set time i said I'dbe quoting MP was over wednesday. Though I think I may do it again sometime... =_= hmmm...

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:33 pm

*shrug* I mean, it's more balanced than its sequel, Melee, but it's still pretty unbalanced. Ness > all.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:38 pm

I disagree. In Smash Brothers for N64, if the damage is set to 200% and Bomb-Ombs only, DK is the clear winner. Grabs > all.

It's the only gametype my brother and I play :D

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:42 am

Ultimatum479 wrote:You say that as if the game's balanced.
It's not unbalanced, that much is certain. My Link shall beat your Ness!

Or he would if not for the fact I'd probably be leaning towards a PS2/PS3 if I get another console. The reason? I would've thought Metal Gear Solid was a good enough reason…

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:37 am

PS3, huh? I dunno, I don't like the idea of paying $400 for a console with two noteworthy games (Uncharted and MGS4).

Anyway, Smash Bros. was a bit unbalanced (Pikachu and Fox dominate) but Melee takes the cake. I'm quite the fighting game fanatic, and I have to say that Melee is the most unbalanced fighter I have ever played. There are basically 4 characters that destroy the others (Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik). I've gotten good enough that I can beat just about anyone with Link or Captain Falcon, though.

Apparently they've taken the balance issues into consideration for Brawl and spent a ton of time making sure the characters are balanced...we shall see.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:55 am

In NZ, 400$ is about what you'd pay for a second generation 3D console (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube). For third generation 3D consoles, it's in the thousands. Well, one thousand to be exact.

And the question is not always whether or not you're prepared to pay so much for a console that only has two noteworthy games, it's whether or not you're prepared to pay so much for a different console, and not get MGS4. :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:06 am

Marth was a good character? Wow, that's awesome I thought Roy was way better (though I wasn't very good with him either, I always used Ness). I always thought Kirby and Luigi were the best and totally unbalanced but I guess it was because those were my friends' favorites and they would totally destroy me with them. I haven't played with anyone who uses Marth or Sheik as their best character.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:16 am

So, what you're saying is you'd pay $1000 for one game?

Even here in the States, I'm not paying $400 for a terrible console so I can play one game. I'll get one of my naive friends to get it or something.

Zantalos: Luigi and Kirby are terrible characters. Kirby is very light and is utterly destroyed by the combination of power and speed that is every character on my above list. He also has a terrible dash attack because its recovery time is very long; dash attacks are often the staple of starting combos. Luigi has awful traction, meaning combos are difficult, and no good finishing moves.

Marth is an insanely good character; he is great for guarding the edge and his aerial attacks are god-like. I've had someone finish me at 50% with Marth because of a down-Aerial.

And Sheik; don't even get me started on Sheik. The first time I ever played Sheik I was busting 60% damage combos on people. Her attacks literally have no recovery time. She's just too damn fast, and her side-aerial is basically an instant finisher above 80% damage.

So yeah, here's hoping Brawl is balanced.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:26 am

wormguy wrote:So, what you're saying is you'd pay $1000 for one game?
Mmmmnope.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:34 am

Sheik isn't that unbalanced. The best speed character is still Fox. Sheik's top tier, but Fox does everything Sheik does and he does it better. (Sheik+Zelda are my favorite characters just cuz they're so fun to play.)

Marth is stupidly, HORRIBLY broken. Any half-decent Marth player can utterly dominate any other character except possibly a Fox player. On a 1-100 scale, Marth is a 99, Fox is a 90, and everyone else is below 80. Roy is certainly _not_ way better than Marth, Zantalos: Marth's aerial abilities are superior by several orders of magnitude, including possibly the most broken meteor spike in the game (mid-air forward-A) and an excellent recovery combo in the Dancing Blade combo --> Dolphin Smash; his sword is slightly longer and he does maximum damage when you hit with the tip of his sword, as opposed to Roy who does maximum damage when hitting with the center of his short sword, so Marth can perpetually keep his opponent away with his great range, damage, and knockback; Marth is heavier and thus harder to juggle, yet still not big enough to be that much more of an easy target to hit than Roy; if Marth ends up landing sword attacks without hitting with the "sweet spot", he does more damage than Roy's attacks that don't hit with his "sweet spot" (and Roy's more likely not to hit with his, as mentioned previously, due to the fact that you have to get in close); etc, etc, etc...

Viking Zippy: as much as I hate to say it due to my hatred of Pokémon, with the settings you've described, I can't see any character but Pikachu winning consistently.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:53 am

I've never played Super Smash Bro's, and thus I do not hold the necessary prerequisite to be included in this argument in any way whatsoever, but Pokemon is a fantastic series of games. I love Pokemon. Especially loved Blue version when I played it, that was the most addictive game ever.