Unofficial Overgrowth a227 build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Peruraptor

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a227 build

Post by Peruraptor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:21 pm

It turned out that the camera bug was temporary bug, and I've been able to play through the campaign since. Here are my thoughts.

Gameplay:

As I expected, the KO shield was not a good edition. Half the entire Overgrowth/Lugaru experience is surprising a guy with a roundhouse to the side of the he and watching him drop like a sack of bricks/cartwheel into the stratosphere as the the ragdoll physics glitch out, and its purposeful limitation here feels forced. While it's thankfully optional and not default, its use in the Lugaru campaign feels excessive and gratuitous. Its understandable to apply to bosses (though they generally have higher health and/or armor already, which makes the shield redundant), its application to a large percentage of the random enemies serves only to artificially prolong the combat by giving your enemies de facto extra lives, making once fast paced, exciting encounters frustrating and tedious, particularly as you yourself do not appear to share this advantage. Far from the initial intent, it has made fights less satisfying, as various weighty finishing moves such as kicking an downed opponent in the head are now useless, and generally followed by the enemy immediately rising to its feet and decking you in the face.

As stated in my initial thoughts, the disarm is really unbalanced on the enemy side. I certainly like the idea of a disarm move, and I understand that weapons were too overpowered in Overgrowth, but its implementation into the game has made them even more useless then they were in Lugaru. When the player's immediate reaction to being rushed by an unarmed opponent is to sheath their sword, there needs to be a balancing change. The main problem is that the enemies use the maneuver almost reflexively: running up or jumping behind them and stabbing them in the back is almost always followed by an immediate dodge/judo flip combo. It should go without saying that performing a complicated disarming maneuver should not be easier/more instinctive than a simple block or a punch after being jumped. While the disarm already more broken than it was in Lugaru, it is made practically unbearable by the fact that your own character is not similarly gifted. The disarm block is one of the most difficult maneuvers to pull off for the player: it involves pressing two buttons in quick succession within an incredibly short reaction window as the enemy uses an attack, with all the comparatively lengthy OODA loops associated with a flawed human mind processing the action on screen (and Overgrowth is not known for its telegraphed attacks) an responding with non-reflexive keyboard inputs. This difficulty is understandable for such a complicated maneuver, but it should also applied to the AI opponents so that they are not given an unfair advantage. This also would make weapons effective without being overbearing, as they would have a counter that nevertheless is tricky enough to pull of that the advantage still lies with the weapon user. As it is, an enemy can often grab your knife without receiving any damage at all, while you are likely to receive several stab wounds before you manage to wrest it back. At the very least AI disarms should be about as common as the regular judo flips used to be, which brings us to...

The Enemy Blocking is now nearly as broken as the disarm. While they don't succeed at blocking surprise sucker-punches as often, the block is still far more automatic and improbable then it used to be. I'm not sure if this a bug or a coding error, but blocking is now so overpowered that even downed enemies will often reflexively counter all your hits, something that used to sometimes happen with high powered characters using the active block/disarm, but is now applied with frightening regularity to even "passive" counters of average rabbits. This breaks suspension of disbelief as rabbits that were moments ago having a dirt nap immediately pop up to block your punches, and also removes a lot of more tactical methods of breaking an enemy's guard, forcing you to wear it down through brute repetition and removing a lot of the strategy to combat. Again, this is not applicable to your own passive/active counters, giving the AI a cripplingly unfair advantage.

The Wolves... Oh god, the Wolves... The Wolves in the previous Overgrowth alphas were a welcome change from the demonic hellbeasts of the original Lugaru. They worked well as glass cannons, losing the massive health meter and blinding reaction times Lugaru Wolves in exchange for insta-kill melee attacks. These made them formidable opponents that were nevertheless possessed enough vulnerabilities to be overcome by a skilled or opportunistic opponent. Their new iteration gives them all the advantages they had in Lugaru, while keeping the insta-kill (only the armor stops the wolfs stages from being unplayable). On top of that, it makes melee attacks flat out useless, forcing you to completely discard the core combat of the game, something not even the the Lugaru Wolves did. In addition, they have even more health than they did in Lugaru, taking three sword strikes to kill in the campaign rather than two, as well as tanking thrown swords to the face with no problem. Even worse, Wolves have no reaction to being hurt, allowing them to use the aforementioned insta-kill hit while your trying to stab them to death. This results in weapon attacks being effectively useless as well, leaving the leg-cannon your only option to defeat them, which results in truly tedious combat during the wolf levels. In summary, the new Wolves combine the most overpowered aspects of Lugaru and Overgrowth, supercharge them, and then add even more cheese on top to crease the most nightmarish, bafflingly broken enemies I've ever seen. If they avoided the leg kick like other opponents, they would be functionally impossible to defeat.

The Leg Cannon now activates on input instead of being context sensitive like everything else in the game. The only reasons I can think of for this are to make the Wolf levels even more difficult or imitate the leg cannon in Lugaru, despite the latter being a much different move in context. Its a shame to see the move continually nerfed (having the enemies avoid it was more than enough to balance it) since its such an iconic part of the combat, setting it apart from the punches and kicks of normal fighting games and making it feel more "rabbitlike". It seems to have ingrained itself enough in the public mind to be used as Judy Hopps' signature move in Zootopia: that has to be worth something.

I like the occasional use of the "bleeding out" state after getting stabbed, and the new ability to speed up dying opponents' demise by attacking them again in that state. The increased use of the heavy blood effects when using slashing attacks and other finishing moves is also a lot of fun. They're nice touches that add a lot to the realism and mix up the use of ragdolls and other assets in an interesting way.

Killing people by pulling weapons out of them makes its triumphant return, with a cool new judo-flip context in line with the disarming function and to make up for the fact that ragdolled opponents are a lot less passive than they were in Lugaru. In addition, all weapons are more likely to stick when thrown, allowing use giant swords as effective ranged weapons. The downside is the smaller range and lack of stealth. While the latter puts gaping holes in certain forms of stealth, its inclusion is understandable. However...

There seem to be some problems with the stealth in general. The enemies seem to have a much greater visual range than before, and they often seem immediately pinpoint your location (generally hundreds of meters away behind several rock formations) upon finding a dead ally, and when enemies are in a group, one of them catching sight of you immediately alerts all the others.

Graphics and Level Design:

This game has come a long way since Lugaru. Despite my problems with the gameplay alterations, the physical recreations of the old levels are incredibly well realized and often breathtaking. The game captures the essence of the Lugaru levels without being enslaved to them: once utilitarian arrangements of boxes now resemble real locations. The final level, with the setting sun reflected off the snow, is one of the most beautiful looking locations I've encountered in any game.

I noticed that a lot of the levels are smaller than before. There are fewer sentry towers, only two wolves are sent after you, and the king's guards do not attempt to fight you. I'm not sure if this is because of the increased difficulty or due to fears of overtaxing computer processors with the higher graphical fidelity.

Story:

The characters seem better written in general. A lot of the dialogue has been changed from just exposition in order to between convey feelings and relationships, and it works with the improved graphics to give the campaign a lot of pathos beyond the original Lugaru.

The gender swap of Jack/Willow and Clover threw me at first. I kept looking for Jack in the start of the game without realizing he'd been replaced. I was also confused by the removal of the Skipper red herring, where Jack made it seem like Skipper had betrayed them then joined the Bandits in order to make Turner go after them.

The death of Turner's family and friends seems to have been sanitized a bit. They've no longer been stripped naked or bear any wound decals. The dialogue of the raider patrol also seems to have been cleaned up a bit to remove some of the implications. No real issue with this (though I would add back the blood decals) but I wondered if it was because you guys matured and no longer felt it appropriate. It has been over ten years since Lugaru came out, and we've all written/created things we've later regretted after getting wiser: everyone has an unfortunate cynical/edgy phase. Speaking of which...

This game got dark. The handful of nihilistic lines Turner had in the penultimate level of the game are expanded into his defining piece of character development, resulting in him getting more and more bloodthirsty over the course of the game, until at the end the Alpha Wolf herself is shocked by your actions: instead of being a one dimension rage-machine, she breaks down over loss of her children, giving the final fight a much much different feeling. Turner himself seems to take on the qualities of the player in the original: by the time he faces the wolves he's seeing enemies as obstacles to be overcome, unironically declaring that the Alpha Wolf's reign of terror is over as he stands over the bodies of her children. The removal of Turner's decision to walk the lands as an outcast is odd, and the games ending is rather abrupt, but it does resonate with the rest of Turner's character development: he learns of a new possible threat, and he seems to immediately begin gearing up to go murder all of them.

Conclusions:

While the graphics and story have had Major Improvements since Lugaru, the gameplay has taken a major blow both in the campaign and the rest of the game. It seems that to coincide with the return of the Lugaru campaign there has been a concerted effort to make Overgrowth's gameplay closer to that of Lugaru. The problem is that Lugaru is frankly a highly flawed game, both in mechanics and balancing, and the transposition of it's more frustrating features into the much less forgiving Overgrowth gameplay only compounds those flaws. Worse, many of the worst problems Lugaru had are doubled down on and supercharged in the new alpha, making for gameplay that is more more frustrating and much less fun than either Lugaru or the previous alphas. I want to enjoy the updated campaign for the story and graphics, but the changes to gameplay too often make it a tedious slog.

DoctorGester

Post by DoctorGester » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:12 pm

I absolutely disagree with knockout shield making the game less interesting. I tried the arena multiple times when the campaign was being worked on it was a really, really bad experience. Every fight is a random mess, whoever falls/gets hit first just dies, no satisfaction. Tried to legcannon and failed on your back? You die.

I agree with the point about sheathing when the opponent is attacking you, found a lot of fights easier this way which is kinda weird.

Also I think startled enemies are not able to dodge/block anymore (that was added in the internal_testing). They also dodge way way less in general.

AI disarms just as the player does. Holding the RMB after they dodge always counters their disarm, so basically, git gud.

Mostly disagree with the wolf part, they are the easiest opponents in the game by far. Because legcannon exists. Fights with them are an absolute chore and require 0 thinking.

About the "smaller" levels part. Not sure about the 3 wolves since I fought 3 at the same time and won easily. But the sentry tower level with a 3-guard tower was an absolute hellish nightmare of a difficulty spike.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:52 pm

DoctorGester wrote: I absolutely disagree with knockout shield making the game less interesting. I tried the arena multiple times when the campaign was being worked on it was a really, really bad experience. Every fight is a random mess, whoever falls/gets hit first just dies, no satisfaction. Tried to legcannon and failed on your back? You die.
Sounds like you haven't yet mastered combat rolling out of danger when ragdolled. Either that or the actual health values have been drastically reduced from the last alpha (it does seem like I can take less punishment then I used to, if thats the case that's another negative point). The leg-cannon wouldn't be a problem if it was still context sensitive. Also don't believe the player is ever given a knockout shield in the Campaign, so it only functions as an unfair crutch for the enemies.
DoctorGester wrote: Also I think startled enemies are not able to dodge/block anymore (that was added in the internal_testing). They also dodge way way less in general.
Not that I've seen. The passive block seems to have taken a massive buff for enemies, to the point of activating even when their flat on the floor.
DoctorGester wrote: AI disarms just as the player does. Holding the RMB after they dodge always counters their disarm, so basically, git gud.
Ax the snide gamer talk, it's important to address balancing issues. The timed and ordered double input to disarm an enemy when it swings is on of the most complicated maneuvers in the game (almost every other action requires only a single input, with only a couple taking such precise/enemy initiated timing). The enemies pull it off on you basically automatically: having any level of alert+weapon swung at them=instant counter almost all the time, with a little more leeway for knives swung at a distance. Enemies should be smart, but they shouldn't be infallible: it breaks suspension of disbelief when you jump behind an enemy and stab at them, only for them to use the Force to immediately dodge your attack, then counter it. There's a reason it feels easier to fight enemies unarmed than with weapons: you can actually land a hit most of the time with fists. Even countering their disarm (again, counters are one of the trickier moves to time) still doesn't get you any closer to doing damage with weapons like swords.

DoctorGester wrote: Mostly disagree with the wolf part, they are the easiest opponents in the game by far. Because legcannon exists. Fights with them are an absolute chore and require 0 thinking.
Unless you get rag-dolled by smacking into scenery mid jump or by mistiming the leg cannon to its weird new contextless input. Wolves are generally quick enough to make any such errors hurt. But yes, the lack of Legcannon avoidance makes Wolves easy to beat, but in the same way some Dark Souls Bosses are easy to beat if you find an exploit that lets you snipe them to death from outside their room. No, Wolves shouldn't be unable to avoid leg-cannons, but they also shouldn't be so overpowered that leg-cannons were the only option in the first place.

DoctorGester

Post by DoctorGester » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:14 am

It's not about rolling out or actually dying from opponent blows. Most of my and enemy deaths in arena happened from neck breaking or any other form of falling, and I don't think they've suddenly changed characters to ming dynasty vases.

Can you actually record a video or a gif or any other proof of enemies disarming you with non-player-available means? I've played lugaru campaign for multiple hours in total and not once have I noticed any unfair behavior in that part. They dodge and then they disarm. Just like the player does.

This is the dodge change I'm talking about. Never dodge when startled, dodge knife attacks 30% of the time, dodge other weapon attacks 10% of the time. Dated 18.12.2016 in the internal_testing branch

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 am

Feedback from frequent players and new players is always welcome, especially thoughtful feedback. Both of you have interesting points. Thanks!

The damage you can take in the arenas has been increased over time, but I don't think we have added the KO shield to those levels at this point.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:37 am

Don't have any screen capture software available, but I'll see what I can do. Its not so much that the means of dodging/disarming are unavailable to the player, just that they are pulled of with far more regularity than a human player could hope to manage. From some quick testing in the editor it seems that with most weapons if the enemy is A. Not Attacking B. In any form of alert (sneaking rather than ambushing still works), they will always dodge and disarm the player, which doesn't seem to match the 10% chance given in the code you showed. Running up behind a rabbit and stabbing it will result in a dodge/disarm, while a sucker punch in the same situation generally results in floored enemy. All dodges are also followed up with with a disarm, which may be intentional, but given it works as a one-two combo for the player rather than a single input, it might be better to have a more common basic dodge, sometimes followed by the disarm, as the former move is much more simple to accomplish as the player than the latter.

Also it really does seem that the characters are less durable than they used to be, or at least more susceptible to environmental damage. Leg Cannons didn't always used to defeat regular enemies in one hit (though they could), but now seem to be a one hit kill (not knockout, kill) if they land. The aforementioned sucker punches also used to be an effective opening move that occasionally ended the fight before it began, but are now a one hit knockout. In light of the knockout shield implementation, decreasing basic durability seems like creating a problem to vindicate the solution.

I'm using the Mac OSX version if it helps with finding any bugs.

kas-loc

Post by kas-loc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:59 am

I'm not sure if anyone will see this anymore and this is my first time posting but is there something wrong with Ai aggression right now?

Even if I go into the editor and change both the normal aggression and the ground aggression, everyone still just constantly comes at me literally just attacking full speed over and over again. not letting up at ALL.

I definitely know something has changed for sure 'Cos I used to set the aggression quite low in general and have slow panned out battles and lots of little 'moments' per se. Now that's not possible at all, no matter what I do.

As I said who-ever I'm fighting is literally just spamming kicks, sweep kicks and punches at me constantly, over and over again. My technique has had to change because of it, And I'm just a counter puncher now, I just wait for them to spam things at me, which they will, And I'm guaranteed a K.O. As i said, I can remember the Ai would have an "attack period" then after a few seconds or what-ever they would raise their hands and become "defensive". Now they don't appear to even have a block function at all. Not even exaggerating. As soon as an enemy becomes aware of me, then its like this. And those little pauses in the action in older builds is kinda what made the fights so enjoyable for me.

You could still have the intense "no time to kill" battles with multiple Enemies or even just an overly aggressive one, But there was still the more slowish hand to hand battles and i loved the shit outta those.

Is there a way I can download an older build and test it maybe? Maybe it's just me.

Other than that I still played all the way through the lagaru campaign and I loved it!

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Good Catch. It seems theres a lot of little subtler parts of the Overgrowth combat that just don't work anymore. I'm guessing they're glitches but there are an awful lot of them.

kas-loc

Post by kas-loc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:27 am

Peruraptor wrote:Good Catch. It seems theres a lot of little subtler parts of the Overgrowth combat that just don't work anymore. I'm guessing they're glitches but there are an awful lot of them.
I agree, and thank you for noticing. I've actually downloaded 226 from the old build thread and I can confirm it. it's all from this update. Also I'm pretty dang sure that the new "knockout Shield" has broken the "lives" feature, as-well.

With 226, Having '4 lives' would make it so a K.O would actually 'knock them out' for a few seconds, instead of killing them straight away from a good hit. And then they'd be able to re-awake and come back at you. It was great for cinematic battles and was realistic. Now it's like aggression, it just doesn't work at all. Hope they fix it, or I'm literally keeping a copy of 226 forever and just stick with it haha.

I actually tried to just copy the lugaru Files from 227 over to the 226 folder to see if i could have the old style combat with the new campaign but that obviously didn't work.

There's also a Field of View bug with 226 dunno if its 'cos i'm on a 21;9 screen but its there. 227's fine for that though, its like a trade off haha

Abominas

Post by Abominas » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:28 am

I will mostly discuss the gameplay. Here's my review:

-Movement-
It's really amazing. I spent a lot of time in this build just free running on red shards. It's annoying though, when the only way to get up a hill is to hold jump. It's also unrealistic: I can climb a mountain with an 85 degree incline by holding forward and jump, and crisscrossing up the side. A crosscountry runner could run up a 45 degree incline with little speed loss, but Turner can't. However it is a wonderful system, one of the biggest appeals of the game. I would like to see movement utilized in the game, perhaps some levels where you have to wall run to escape enemies, or you have to climb towers with moving parts, like a windmill or clock tower, etc. I liked the first level because I had to climb up the huge tower, to see a gorgeous view of the peaceful rabbit town.

-Willow-
Making her silent made the fight difficult. I had to rely on my (so-so) timing to dodge and disarm her. This might be interesting to see in the game. I'd like to fight more ninja characters in the game.

-Wolves-
Wolves are too easy to kill. The fights are linear. The wolf den level was hilarious. I laugh at wolves, because all I have to do (all I CAN do) is leg cannon them. I jump while holding the left mouse button --that's all it takes. While they have instant kill attacks, wolves don't get a chance to attack because I'm too fast. I laugh as they get repeatedly kicked in the face, me not taking a single hit. Jump, kick. Jump, kick. Jump, kick, dead. The boss was made artificially difficult by being made tough enough to take 8 of my flying kicks. While it is possible to dodge and slice the boss, which I did today, it's just not fun when I know I can easily win with the alternative. I'd suggest removing their iron hide, or altering when it's active. Perhaps for a second after the wolf attacks, he's vulnerable to be tripped. You dodge, roll behind him, and sweep his legs. Once he's on the ground, he's vulnerable. I'd want to fight a wolf like that. Perhaps the wolf goes into a berserk state after he's been hit a few times. He'd charge at you on all fours, disregarding safety. Then you'd HAVE to jump kick him to finish him off. Queue epic slow motion shot of the wolf's neck breaking as you jump into the air. Make the wolf more complicated, not just more durable.

-AI-
The enemies are exciting, but variation would be welcome. Perhaps make some guards weak, likely to run away to get help. They all run at the same speed too, so there's no threat, since Turner is Usain Bolt. Perhaps make some enemies faster/slower than Turner. Maybe make some enemies react quicker/faster to certain attacks, instead of all enemies reacting at the same speed.

On jump kicks: why have the move in the game if it's almost impossible to use them on rabbits? They turn around immediately, unrealistically fast as soon as I jump at them. Since Turner performs the kick on input, I often mistime them.

-Weapons-
They're visually STUNNING. They add another layer of complexity to the game. With the raider's knife in my hands, I can decide to sneak behind a guard and shank him, or rush in and throw the knife at his face. Stealth, berserk, or a combined approach. The amount of freedom in the combat system makes it really rewarding, except for a few quirks:
SOMETIMES: After I've fallen, my rabbit starts picking himself up. During this animation, I can't roll! The enemy slashes and bashes repeatedly while I spam roll and watch my rabbit SLOWLY GET UP and die. It's so frustrating!! The knife attacks are so fast that even when I dodge one, I still get hit by a following attack WHILE I'm dodging. It feels like there's nothing I can do to avoid it.
It turns out that when I have a knife, the most optimal way to kill groups of enemies is to run away while holding the left mouse button. Turner somehow turns around while sprinting and slashes an enemy. The enemies don't seem to attack or block fast enough to stop me. That's how I won the first camp level. Not with stealth or strategy but with the meta. I was not punished for getting everyone's attention and I didn't grow as a player in this situation.

-Knockout Shield and Blocks-
I don't agree with this change. It ruins stealth attacks: I can't sneak behind a raider guard and kill him with a satisfying roundhouse anymore! It's unrealistic. Perhaps when an enemy is aware of Turner, or mentally prepared to get hit, it would make sense.
My issues with blocks are complicated. They're really satisfying to pull off, but the timing seems strict. Perhaps add varying stages of successful blocks. Perhaps a late block would only partially deflect an attack, but still prevent some damage, rather than totally fail. An early block would be less effective because some of the momentum, ging, whatever would get wasted. Keeping the threshold for a successful block the same and adding these early/late thresholds would make combat feel more responsive.

-Health-
There needs to be a way to recover. I don't mean magical recovery from slash wounds in mere seconds, just some recovery from blunt trauma. Perhaps the rabbit's head clears after running away from being punched in the face. And for realistic purposes this would need to be limited. For example, Turner could recover from a punch to the ribs, but not, say, a staff to the face. As for slash wounds, how about bandages? You could carry strips of cloth and display turner wrapping the cloth around his injured part. Now that would be cool to see! Although I assume it would be difficult to code. Without a way to recover, long levels are impossible without flawless combat. If I have a 25% chance of dying in a fight with one enemy, and I have to kill, say, 15 successive enemies in some long palace level, there's no chance.

-Overall-
I'm glad there's a campaign! There's a win, lose, and play state now, so with this patch, you've created a game! I'd love to see variation in wolf fights, removal of the weird meta strategy with knives, and more movement based challenges in the future.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 am

As an Addendum to my previous thoughts:

Nothing is worse to the enjoyment of a game than a weapon or ability that, while nightmarish in the hands of your opponents, becomes completely useless in your own. Overgrowth currently has a major problem with this due to the AI auto-disarm, but the worst contender by far has to be what used to be my favorite Lugaru weapon: The Staff.

The Quarter-Staff was once the most entertaining weapon to use in Lugaru due to its high power and heavy momentum, allowing you to send enemies flying with single hits and they wallop on their ragdolled bodies to your hearts content. Unfortunately my Computer doesn't run the game as well as it used to, and unless I'm very careful and/or lucky staffs that hit the ground tend to go spiraling into the air as the physics break down, leading to a game crash upon completing the level. I was overjoyed when they were finally included in Overgrowth after so long, but their current implementation is highly disappointing.

For some reason they are vulnerable to blocking now, and are even more susceptible than punches to the previously mentioned a227 super "passive block". You're almost never able to get a good hit on an active combatant, and they usually manage to disarm you in a few moves. Without any uber passive block for the player, the staff becomes far more reminiscent of the original in the enemy's hands, with the player getting repeatedly ragdolled by the abnormally aggressive a227 AI. The staff was counter-able in Lugaru due to the ease of disarming its user (as well as being able to auto-dodge backward by holding down the mouse button), but despite using the normal-block disarm instead of the more finicky dodge-disarm, disarming staffs seems a lot less reliable than the standard judo flip. This makes fighting staff users a race to see if you can get the disarm to work before the enemy pounds your head into the dirt.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Peruraptor wrote:unless I'm very careful and/or lucky staffs that hit the ground tend to go spiraling into the air as the physics break down, leading to a game crash upon completing the level.
Could you please report this bug? I don't remember seeing a single report of a staff-related crash yet.

Please include the files described on this page, in an email to [email protected]: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth

Also, what steps you take in order to reproduce the bug, and any screenshots/videos you feel like including.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:14 pm

merlyn wrote:
Could you please report this bug? I don't remember seeing a single report of a staff-related crash yet.

Please include the files described on this page, in an email to [email protected]: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth

Also, what steps you take in order to reproduce the bug, and any screenshots/videos you feel like including.
This was a bug in Lugaru, not Overgrowth.

Jackalope

Post by Jackalope » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 pm

merlyn wrote:
Jackalope wrote:I downloaded this on my Mac Book pro and it doesn't run. It will not open. I've run older forms of the game but the newer ones will not work. Any ideas on what I can do to resolve the problem?
I can confirm the latest alpha does work on at least my Macbook pro, so hopefully we can figure out how to get it working foryou. Can you send a support email to [email protected] ? Sending along your logfile and hardware report would also help a lot - http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth
I'm running Version 10.8. When I double click on the Overgrowth Icon it hops in the Dock then vanishes. I've tried loading it again and again. It never opens. I don't think it even runs long enough to get a bug report together. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you with this. Hopefully we can figure this out. :)

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 am

Jackalope wrote:
merlyn wrote:
Jackalope wrote:I downloaded this on my Mac Book pro and it doesn't run. It will not open. I've run older forms of the game but the newer ones will not work. Any ideas on what I can do to resolve the problem?
I can confirm the latest alpha does work on at least my Macbook pro, so hopefully we can figure out how to get it working foryou. Can you send a support email to [email protected] ? Sending along your logfile and hardware report would also help a lot - http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth
I'm running Version 10.8. When I double click on the Overgrowth Icon it hops in the Dock then vanishes. I've tried loading it again and again. It never opens. I don't think it even runs long enough to get a bug report together. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you with this. Hopefully we can figure this out. :)
Unless we get more info on how it is running, this report doesn't give us much info to go on. It probably generates the log file, if it gets as far as you're describing. Can you check to see if those files exist on your computer?

Open Finder and hit CMD + SHIFT + G to open up the "go to folder" dialog, and specify the path ~/Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/, and see if the files mentioned at http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth exist.

If you can find those files, email them to the address I mentioned before (in the quoted text)