Dual weilding

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
draken4

Dual weilding

Post by draken4 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:07 pm

dual weilding would be pretty cool when fighting multiple enemies

Karel

Re: Dual weilding

Post by Karel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:42 pm

No.

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:07 am

draken4 wrote:dual weilding would be pretty cool when fighting multiple enemies
I'd much prefer traps for multiple enemies!

Combat is very brutal in Overgrowth, and in harey situations like those, I'd be spending my time trying to create some environmental advantage over my adversaries, so hopefully I could confront as close to one of them as I could manage!

The only reason you would survive such an encounter would be if you were exploiting the inherent advantages you have as a player - moving backwards and attacking so that the enemy's attack timer keeps resetting; leg cannoning, and the like. Hopefully closer to release, there won't be any easy outs and you'll be forced to think ahead sometimes rather than charge in with a dog broadsword in each hand!

Also to note - because combat takes place between two targets, I think people in the vicinity aren't affected by attacks! That means that your swinging will only ever have a chance to hit the poor thing you're looking at, because the game won't even check if your punch connected to something else.

CJAwesome

Post by CJAwesome » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:25 am

Ah, whatever. Dual Wielding would be Awesome!

AAorris

Post by AAorris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:18 am

CJAwesome wrote:Ah, whatever. Dual Wielding would be Awesome!
Haha, alright. I give! Dual wielding would be pretty cool.
But I'm happy with the knife if I want to slash things up! I can't even imagine having two of them...

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:48 pm

I think dual wielding something small like a dagger or even a very short sword would be pretty cool. But picking up two weapons would get weird. What if you realize that you only want one? It would complicate the player's interface.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 pm

I say that dual weilding would be alot of fun with daggers or knives. Just think, you would be able to throw one and not have a high chance of being slashed to pieces with that knife the dying village elder entrusted to you! Imagine turner making bicycle pedaling movements with his arms with two knives! That would look epic! :lol:

Monkeyy

Post by Monkeyy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 am

In real life, does anyone actually dual wield weapons? >_>

Would there really be an advantage?

And I'm stil talking about knives/swords here, just a hypotetical. In real life I would never want to fight someone with a knife in BOTH my hands, it would be incredibly impractical.

Karel

Post by Karel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Monkeyy wrote:In real life, does anyone actually dual wield weapons? >_>

And I'm stil talking about knives/swords here, just a hypotetical. In real life I would never want to fight someone with a knife in BOTH my hands, it would be incredibly impractical.
Except OG is a game about rabbits killing eachoter, your arguement is invalid. Though it would be completely unrealistic, it's not the problem here.

I mean, why the hell would we have two weapons? Most weapons that are'nt knives are already completely OP (and two handed) and knives, well ... Fighting with two knives would be ridiculous.
And still OP (2 knives, 2 rabbits, one knive thrown on each one, OHGOD I FEEL SO POWERFULL DURR)
dual weilding would be pretty cool when fighting multiple enemies
Yeah well, good luck remaking the whole targeting system just because you want to attack multiple enemies.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 pm

As cool as it would be, the only "dual wielding" I'm holding out for is small shields and bucklers which could use variations of already implemented blocking and striking mechanics.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Yes.

I'm not a pro, but I've seen lots of videos. The idea seems to be 1) that you lose nothing by having something in the other hand, if you know how to not fail with it and 2) that you'll use the second hand any way if it gives you an advantage, even if it doesn't have a weapon.

Filipino martial arts are known for using two sticks (eskrima, kali and various other names) or daggers, or swords (silat and other names). The silat video only has a short bit of double weapons in the beginning, but the final part with dagger play shows them using the "empty" hand a lot. If you need to be able to use both hands any way, you don't need that much more training to be able to use a second tool as well.

In Chinese martial arts, there's several traditions, the most commonly seen ones being the use of a pair of identical or mirrored weapons such as jian (straight sword) or dao (curved saber), or daggers, and then because there were already precedents, alsofancy stuff such as special daggers (seen in the kali video above), maces, axes, short spears, clubs, etc.

In Western martial arts, there's the combination rapier and dagger as well as rapier and buckler. With buckler, remember that besides being a handy blocking tool, it is also a heavy piece of metal with which you can punch.
Besides these, which are rather common, there's rapier in combination with the weirdest of objects such as a cloak, a lantern, a lantern-shield, and two rapiers (case of rapiers) and variations of that with all kinds of one handed swords, here with two cutting swords.

edit: Oh, and these are all very complicated and unlikely to be in the game. Even if they were custom animations with the only in-game advantage being that you can be disarmed of one weapon and still have the other one left, the animations would be quite complicated.

DemonicDaemon

Post by DemonicDaemon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Miyamoto Musashi wrote:It is not difficult to wield a sword in one hand; the Way to learn this is to train with two long swords, one in each hand. It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Extract from The Book of Five Rings, (1584 - 1645)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Musashi_ts_pic.jpg

chillychili

Post by chillychili » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Would be cool. I don't think that would be the hardest thing for the devs to do, either. Seeing how impressive things they've done. I've never coded though.

It's always fun with more options :)

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:29 pm

^^ ...I feel like someone else has been playing Shogun 2 as well.

draken4

Post by draken4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 pm

hey aarois did u draw that