Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ShnitzelKiller

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by ShnitzelKiller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:03 am

Just dropping in for the first time in months to say that this is some of the most immersive fun I've had in a while. The gun mechanics make shooting stuff SO much more rewarding than your average shooter nowadays, which usually entails simple pointing and clicking. It's surprisingly fun for a tech demo, and I really hope you continue this somehow, some time. I mean, I'm looking forward to overgrowth as well, but everything you guys turn out, be it a test or a competition entry, ends up looking like a promising start to something great. I guess you're natural game developers.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:06 am

I hate this game...well, no I mean..I don't hate it, I actually LOVE it because it uses a new concept (at least for me) in gaming regarding guns, meaning you cannot start shooting just for fun, you have to save ammunition and use the gun properly in order for it to work but...IT'S SO SCARY!
Sometimes I find myself yelling with anger at the drones for killing me, but most of the time I'm really frightened, for I know a robot my be right behind me or just shoot me as soon as I walk out the door.
Is this going to be open source?
I really want to make the game a little bit brighter so I don't get so scared :D
Nice job, I really like it.
Oh and...did you use stuff from souls of steel for the bullet holes?

Striker121

Post by Striker121 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:26 am

Very fun game. Somehow the initially really strange gun mechanics quickly become intuitive. Although I still am not good at fast reloads. I always forget to pull the dry mag out of the gun and all manner of things, fun to see what panic does to you.

As others have mentioned, there still is the issue of falling through the floor in one specific map section. Looks like a rectangular room with a hallway going around half of the outside. ALWAYS fall through the floor, every single time.

To people mentioning gun jams, a pistol firing decent ammo isn't going to jam all that often. I'd say add a 1 in a 100 (ATLEAST that unlikely) chance of a jam. Also cause a jam if you don't hold R long enough when chambering a round, not pulling the slide far enough back will usually jam a pistol in real life.

Edit:
Building on what other posts have said, this game is tense as hell, certainly scary as hell when a drone is bearing down and they suddenly seem to be covered in bulletproof armor. (True fact: Drones suddenly lose all weakpoints when the player is freaking the hell out) But it is a very nice kind of scary, not Amnesia style "OH GOD I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME". Keeps you on your toes. If a full fledged shooter was made based if this same control/weapons system, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Hell I already pre-ordered Overgrowth mainly to get this :D (I had meant to pre-order for awhile anyway, but this made me jump on it in a second.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:16 am

I can't thank you enough. This looks like a great game.

BreachBangClear

Post by BreachBangClear » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 am

This game is amazing. I've never seen the true-to-life firearm accuracy in any other game before. I love the way the 1911A1 handles, and I've never had so much fun brass-checking. :lol:

I really hope there are plans to add more firearms and different combat scenarios to the game, it has such amazing potential.

Do you own a 1911 in real life David? Your attention to the correct functionality of the pistol is astounding. John Moses Browning would be proud!

Sordid Dreams

Re: Please help us test Receiver (7-day FPS game)

Post by Sordid Dreams » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 am

Roujin wrote:I get the "falling through floor" bug - and I think it is a problem with a specific asset. I was there two times now and both times at one particular spot you fall through what appears to be solid ground.

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots, but I can try to describe the place.
You start in a hall, that has a stairway leading up to the second floor (about in the middle of the hall), there is some kind of catwalk as the second floor. That leads to a door (on 2nd floor, middle of wall) into the next section. The floor turns immediately left after the door, and you can see it turning right again after just a few meters, but exactly at that corner you will fall through the floor.

I will try to take a screenshot if I happen to spawn there again.
I've found it.
[+] Screenshots
That's what it looks like when entering the corridor. The floor and the wall on the left are not solid. The wall on the right is solid.

I've walked into the wall to take a closer look. You can see why you fall down here - the whole floor is immaterial but you can stand on what I believe is the wall of the lower level (hence why your viewpoint moves down a bit as if you've walked down a step as you enter the hallway). When that lower wall ends, you fall down and die.

A few steps further, still inside the wall. The entry hallway is on the right. You can see the drop that kills you in this picture as well.

The drop that kills you as it appears from below:

Last edited by Sordid Dreams on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheSlider

Post by TheSlider » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 am

I can't run.

I'm using an Azerty keyboard and tried reverting keys to Qwerty in settings or switching with ALT+TAB but there is just no way for me to be able to run in this game by tapping the w or z key or both. I just don't get it. I though it was only possible after holstering the gun but it doesn't work either. Any insights except buying another keyboard online ? Maybe i'm just doing something wrong ? : s

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:33 am

An additional problem.
[+] Screenshot
As you can see from the light on the ground, there's a turret right around the corner. Somehow it can still see me though the wall but it doesn't fire just yet. I moved left to try and find a way around it and it kept tracking me and after a few meters it shot me through the wall.
This is probably not the same room as the one with the floor bug, though it looks similar. It's hard to tell. It's on the lower level, there's a row of red lights leading up to this corner where I got killed. Unfortunately that's all the info I can provide, since I got killed moments after taking this screenshot and the chances of finding another turret at the exact same spot are kinda slim.

Lhorkan

Post by Lhorkan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:54 am

I'd like it if there was some way to tell you disabled the gun on a turret; right now the only way to know it's out if you stand in front of it, close your eyes, cross your fingers, and hope that when you open your eyes again you haven't respawned. :o Maybe some smoke coming out of the turret?

Same thing for killing the tazer on those blasted flyers.

Also, is it just me or can you disable just one part on the turrets, and then they become invincible? When I have ammo to spare and I took the gun out on a turret, I'd like to kill the battery or the camera so it stops freaking me out with the beeping, but no matter how many rounds I inject into that big red box, it keeps beeping at me!

@TheSlider: first of all, remap the receiver keys so it matches the azerty lay-out (~ for holstering the gun for instance, and of course AWSD). You can run when the gun is not in aiming mode, or when it is holstered, by repeatedly tapping Z in your case.

LeSan

Re: Please help us test Receiver (7-day FPS game)

Post by LeSan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:59 am

Anton wrote:
LeSan wrote:On mac with a non qwerty keybord, it's impossible to rebind the keys, so it's just unplayable :)

But great mechanisms on reloading, pretty new and welcome :D
You should be able to rebind the controls during the opening launcher when it asks you for your resolution. Click on the Input tab, and reassign away! (And hold option while launching the game if you decided to skip that screen...)
Yes but this is completly messed sometime taking the good key, sometime not and even in game it's still taking my keyboard as a azerty with qwerty binding

Tonjevic

Post by Tonjevic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:11 am

Turrets can spawn on top of ceiling pipes.

Cunning...

xavieran

Post by xavieran » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 am

I've been lurking here for years, but I just had to comment on this.
Absolutely bloody brilliant game! I've just spent all day playing it, stuff the exam I have tomorrow ;)
I have never enjoyed an FPS in my life. It is just so much fun! There's nothing like sneaking around a doorway and taking out the hoverbots before they notice you. There's a real sense of suspense, and definitely of making your shots count. Managing to take out a hoverbot when it's flying towards you is immensely rewarding, certainly gives you quite a buzz. I personally favour keeping the hoverbots the difficulty that they are. Just like wolves in Lugaru, I've been able to develop strategies to destroy them that feel pretty awesome when you pull them off right. It's not such a bad thing to have a difficult enemy in a game, is it? Anyway, just my two cents. Wanted to let you guys know how absolutely impressed I am by Receiver... bloody brilliant!

ConjuredMuffin

Post by ConjuredMuffin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:45 am

I got to 4 tapes, then with 3 full magazines fell through the floor...

I'm guessing that's a bug with the Unity CharacterController when walking across gaps between the meshes. I have that problem in a similar fashion in the unity project that I am working on.
Also I noticed a dark line on the edge of some of the light projection images. I think that happens when alpha textures with a non- power of 2 size are scaled by the engine.
I might be wrong on both counts, sorry if I sounded like a smartass there.

Gameplaywise I think it's really intriguing once you get the controls down and know where to shoot the bots. If you're unlucky it can become kind of impossible to beat though.

I don't quite get the need for the player to be able to operate the safety switch though. Although it's still kind of neat that they can.

ninjapretzel

Post by ninjapretzel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:53 am

Hello, I am a student Unity dev. I would love to modify what you guys have already done. I find that this game has tons of potential, and could be made even better. I'd love if you guys could release your project folder so that some of us could modify it (as we can modify your overgrowth's phoenix engine, and Unity happens to be an open engine)

I'd also like to see what other people can come up with.

Some of my work exists here: http://notvidya.zxq.net/Unity/index.html

Unwoundpath

Post by Unwoundpath » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:56 am

I don't know if anyone else encountered this glitch, but after taking out and putting the clip back in a gun multiple times, it starts to wander from the gun... Image That is in the gun, ready to fire... It looks weirder when the gun is in your hand, it gets the clip a few inches sticking out of the gun.