Will there be more gameplay mechanics or moves?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
jac_solar

Will there be more gameplay mechanics or moves?

Post by jac_solar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:41 pm

I was wondering if Wolfire were planning on adding more mechanics or moves? I was thinking about this while watching the 2014 GDA talk on procedural animation by David Rosenb (Great talk.), and thought that these kinds of things would be a lot of fun;

A "rabbit leap", where the character can charge additional momentum by charging up using his rabbit feet for some additional jumping height,

Rolling momentum (Ie, going into "roll" while standing on a hill makes the character roll down, and gain momentum as he does -- which could be used for knocking down opponents, flying off a ramp to get somewhere, etc.).

Grappling hook (Like in Just Cause 2.) that lets you attach the hook to any surface, with additional modifiers such as tensile strength, or different materials, such as rubber band, wire, rope, etc. for additional fun -- attaching the hook on the top of a plateau/tall building, changing it to rubber band, and jumping off would work like bungee jumping.

Or attaching it to the ground pull the rubber band by running in the other direction to launch your character somewhere. Or launch and object/weapon/NPC by attaching the line to that instead of your character.

Rope, wire, could be used to set traps, or play around with mobs (Ie, pulling them up, or tying them up.).

rodeje25

Re: Will there be more gameplay mechanics or moves?

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:07 pm

I think a grappling hook doesn't fit into overgrowth.

An insta rolldown from a hill agianst an enemy would work well if david decides to implement a mod that if you bumped into an enemy with enough speed it would cause you both to ragdoll.

And for the rabbit leap the jump-kick actually already works as a rabbit leap.

And mobs are more something for an open world game and traps more something for an survival or hunting game

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:50 pm

I would really like to see a grappling hook. I agree that it does not fit to Overgrowth vanilla, but I am sure it would be a lot of fun. But we will need a parachute as well :D

Generally more moves are planned, but I am not sure in which OG Weekly episode they talked about that. I think it was the last one? Not 100% sure though and I am not in the mood to rewatch it just to answer that. EPR89 started to transcript the episode here, which is a great idea. I do not find it there though, so maybe it was in another episode.

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:09 pm

jac_solar wrote: Rolling momentum (Ie, going into "roll" while standing on a hill makes the character roll down, and gain momentum as he does -- which could be used for knocking down opponents, flying off a ramp to get somewhere, etc.).
With ramps and stuff, we could totally make a skate park map hahaha

Fuck it let's just make the next Tony Hawk's Pro Skater lol :mrgreen:

Duff_Duffington

Post by Duff_Duffington » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:33 am

Jack of All Trades wrote:
jac_solar wrote: Rolling momentum (Ie, going into "roll" while standing on a hill makes the character roll down, and gain momentum as he does -- which could be used for knocking down opponents, flying off a ramp to get somewhere, etc.).
With ramps and stuff, we could totally make a skate park map hahaha

Fuck it let's just make the next Tony Hawk's Pro Skater lol :mrgreen:
I think that would infringe on copyrights. Maybe we could get away with Turner Hare's Pro Skater.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:21 pm

new fighting moves would be nice.
I personally would enjoy if melee fighting did not only direct the hits to the head but to the chest for example