Extreme Framerate Issues

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Kirbyfan42

Extreme Framerate Issues

Post by Kirbyfan42 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi all.

I've just installed the game, and it boots and loads well. However, it runs extremely poorly on my machine, not even maintaining 15fps at minimum resolution and the lowest graphics.

I have a GTX870M, so I figure I would have at least been able to maintain a decent frame rate, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Are there any ways to increase performance?

Is it possible that Overgrowth forces use of my integrated graphics card, even though I've manually set the program to use the proper one in the nvidia control panel?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Silverfish

Re: Extreme Framerate Issues

Post by Silverfish » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:10 am

Make sure you've turned off GPU skinning as some users have had performance problems with that. That graphics card should for sure be able to run the game without issues.

Kirbyfan42

Post by Kirbyfan42 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 am

Silverfish wrote:Make sure you've turned off GPU skinning as some users have had performance problems with that. That graphics card should for sure be able to run the game without issues.
This didn't make much of a difference, but It seemed to add a couple frames. Now I can maintain 15fps at the start of the tutorial.

Is there any other way to diagnose the issue. Can the other window with the text constantly running help diagnose anything?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Kirbyfan42 wrote:
Silverfish wrote:Make sure you've turned off GPU skinning as some users have had performance problems with that. That graphics card should for sure be able to run the game without issues.
This didn't make much of a difference, but It seemed to add a couple frames. Now I can maintain 15fps at the start of the tutorial.

Is there any other way to diagnose the issue. Can the other window with the text constantly running help diagnose anything?
Typical troubleshooting steps for poor performance:
Update your GPU driver software. Turn off all programs running in the background (absolutely everything), and disable antivirus. Turn down and turn off all the graphical options (set it to 1/8 textures, no anti-aliasing, turn on simple shadows, turn off tet mesh lighting and ambient light volumes, turn off GPU skinning, turn off detail objects, turn off vsync). Then see if you still have framerate issues.

If you still have issues after updating your GPU drivers and turning the game down to absolutely the minimum graphics settings, then please send a bug report to [email protected] - attach your logfile and hwreport.txt. Instructions on how to find those files is available here - http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth

Kirbyfan42

Post by Kirbyfan42 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Problems persisted after turning textures to 1/8, which I missed. It didn't make a difference, and still runs at 15fps-ish.
It runs well when paused, and seems to do well in the brief moments when it's in slow motion.

I'm submitted the bug report as you instructed. Hopefully things can be sorted out one way or another! :mrgreen:

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:27 am

Kirbyfan42 wrote:Problems persisted after turning textures to 1/8, which I missed. It didn't make a difference, and still runs at 15fps-ish.
It runs well when paused, and seems to do well in the brief moments when it's in slow motion.

I'm submitted the bug report as you instructed. Hopefully things can be sorted out one way or another! :mrgreen:
You have to actually follow the troubleshooting steps I mentioned. I looked at your log file, and your GPU drivers didn't get updated, and you have several features still turned on that we told you to turn off.

Please re-read my instructions and follow all of them. Turn all that stuff off at the same time. Update your GPU drivers (you can get them at nVidia's website).