Overgrowth songs in Lugaru

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
David
Project Leader

Overgrowth songs in Lugaru

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 pm

I recompressed and uploaded some of the Overgrowth songs so that they can be used in Lugaru: get the pack here! Keep in mind that Lugaru plays songs at a lower sample rate than Overgrowth, and these are all works in progress :)

Derakon

Re: Overgrowth songs in Lugaru

Post by Derakon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Awesome!

Listening to the music, I actually think that music3 makes pretty good desert music at the beginning, though midway through it adds enough voices to not feel desolate enough. I kinda feel like the desert theme right now is very "soft" and peaceful -- which, depending on the kind of desert you're going for, could be appropriate, but it's not what I expected.

Have you listened to the soundtrack for Okami? I think it has a somewhat similar aesthetic feel, artwise, and there are far worse places to look for inspiration in music; its soundtrack is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing this!

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Music3 is good, but as far as desert music I think it would be to distracting. The current one is good, because it doesn't distract too much, being soft I think is fine for desert music. And if you come across a more dangerous desert, you can always do something similar, but a bit more ominous.
Last edited by Kalexon on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:40 pm

That is good feedback; we are still working out the music direction for Overgrowth, so nothing is set in stone yet.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:25 am

Is there going to be any way to control iTunes in Overgrowth?

The ability to Command-Tab from the game would work too.

Vans

Post by Vans » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:38 am

Hey I thought I was cool enough to put my own music in Lugaru, but well I wasn't, It plays the tracks much slower than usual... has that something to do with teh samplerate? anyway how do I fix this?
ps: I personally think grass and desert are currently too friendly, the rest is awwright

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:00 pm

I would like to do iTunes support, but it depends on how much work that turns out to be! Command-tab will definitely be in. If you would like to add your own song you have to change the samplerate to 22050 khz. It plays the songs at that rate, so if your is at 44100 khz it will sound like it is going at half-speed.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Wow, this music is epic, very nice job so far.

Great as they are, though, the majority of them seem to be too much for the proposed context ... but, admittedly, I've no idea what it is you guys have in mind, so meh :)

Anyhow, I agree with Vans, Music 1 Grass is indeed a bit too friendly; it sounds more like the kind of music that you would hear when returning to and wandering around "home" ... I've no idea what's in store for the fight music, but I have a difficult time imagining a transition from that into something more serious and deadly.

Music 1 Desert is, likewise for the most part, too 'friendly' to seem to fit in a desolate landscape, especially in the first 50 or so seconds, but after 52 I can see it in a desert landscape, as long as it's a 'friendly' environment, not covered with enemies.

Music 1 Snow is a little too emotional for a snow map. To me it sounds more like somber intro music than a cold and bitter environment.
Derakon wrote:Listening to the music, I actually think that music3 makes pretty good desert music at the beginning, though midway through it adds enough voices to not feel desolate enough. I kinda feel like the desert theme right now is very "soft" and peaceful -- which, depending on the kind of desert you're going for, could be appropriate, but it's not what I expected.
Kalexon wrote:Music3 is good, but as far as desert music I think it would be to distracting. The current one is good, because it doesn't distract too much, being soft I think is fine for desert music. And if you come across a more dangerous desert, you can always do something similar, but a bit more ominous.
I agree with Kalexon, I can easily see this leading up to a huge battle scene, it seems too 'loud' and epic for a standard desert, though if it was in a gigantic desert and indeed leading up to a huge battle scene, that could be perfect 8)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:21 pm

I think it really matters most where these music sets are going to be played. Lugaru 1 had very simple music, free music that I thought was really weird, but it wasn't a big deal because you only listened to it for a couple seconds at a time and then it was interrupted with a bang and the battle drums would start.

I really like this music, and I don't think the music is too friendly, because there will probably be so much more just wandering around in Overgrowth that you want something friendly, friendly, long, and epic, not like Lugaru's 30 second loop. You won't be fighting enemies 98% of the game like in Lugaru 1 so it's important for background music to be relaxing, not like a crazy serious song that's always ready to explode into battle music at the first sign of trouble. So I think Grass1, Desert1, and Snow1 are all very good. I think it would be bad advice to say that the music needs to be more serious and deadly. I think it would be better advice to say that there should also be grass2, desert2, snow2 as well for those special situations that are more deadly and serious. Play grass1 when you're wandering around in peaceful territory, like around towns, play grass 2 when you're in hostile territory, like around raider camps.

I really like music3 too, it's very serious and epic. Sounds like really cool music that should be played when you're inside castle walls, or around other military places.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:30 pm

The genre comes up as "Blues" in my itunes :)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:46 am

Does overgrowth have a theme song yet? Or something with a catchy chorus that's easy to identify and remember, kinda like Zelda's Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy's title song?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Zantalos wrote:I really like this music, and I don't think the music is too friendly, because there will probably be so much more just wandering around in Overgrowth that you want something friendly, friendly, long, and epic, not like Lugaru's 30 second loop. You won't be fighting enemies 98% of the game like in Lugaru 1 so it's important for background music to be relaxing, not like a crazy serious song that's always ready to explode into battle music at the first sign of trouble. So I think Grass1, Desert1, and Snow1 are all very good. I think it would be bad advice to say that the music needs to be more serious and deadly. I think it would be better advice to say that there should also be grass2, desert2, snow2 as well for those special situations that are more deadly and serious. Play grass1 when you're wandering around in peaceful territory, like around towns, play grass 2 when you're in hostile territory, like around raider camps.
Point taken, and agreed; the music is great, it's just I had a difficult time seeing it in a similar context as Lugaru.

Having additional tunes would be an excellent idea: this music is great for, as you said, 'peaceful territories', but in 'hostile territory', it would be better if there were more 'deadly and serious' music.
Zantalos wrote:I really like music3 too, it's very serious and epic. Sounds like really cool music that should be played when you're inside castle walls, or around other military places.
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but ...
Zantalos wrote:Does overgrowth have a theme song yet? Or something with a catchy chorus that's easy to identify and remember, kinda like Zelda's Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy's title song?
It seems the blog has answered your question ;)

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm

The new version of the theme song sounds like epic kung fu movie music. :)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 am

Love the fact that this is made available for us, but I'm going to stick to waiting for the Lugartoo beta, so the music will still have its original awesomeness effect. 8)

yamamonkey

Post by yamamonkey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:02 pm

The last song indeed sounds like the main character is traveling through desert just before meeting with his arch enemy :)