Inventory System In OG

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

RPG style inventory or in-the-engine swapping of weps?

RPG Inventory ftw
13%
Equip Weapons like in real life!
87%

Total votes: 150

Petethegoat

Re: Inventory System In OG

Post by Petethegoat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:46 pm

Ok, here is my proposal.

Let us simplify weapons into three catagories;
small, which is weapons like knifes, daggers, or things that are wielded one handed.
medium, which is weapons like swords or small axes, which can be wielded in one or two hands.
large, which is weapons like zweihanders or polearms, which must be wielded in two hands.

Please excuse my gross oversimplification (and poor drawing), but it makes explaining my system a lot easier.

Slot one as indicated on the image can hold small and medium weapons.
Slot two also can hold small and medium weapons.
Slot three however, can hold medium and large weapons.
Weapons can be cycled through with the 'E' key and thrown or holstered/dropped with the 'Q' key (dropped if player is crouching).

I think this system adheres to the original system, while allowing for more variety. Any thoughts?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Yes, I like the way that system works... also reminds me of the system Rune used to use... Ah, Rune...

*gets lost in memories*

...Anyway, I'm pretty confident that whichever system the team will eventually implement, it'll not stray too far from the original Lugaru's simplicity, and will still be epic and perfect.

Huzzah.

Shadowfire

Post by Shadowfire » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 pm

I am thoroughly against an RPG style inventory where you hold huge amounts of things magically. That said, if you're dealing with shopkeepers or something I don't think having a screen there is unreasonable.

I would also prefer being able to hold few items at once, so long as it doesn't necessitate item juggling or that we give up nearly every decent thing we find.

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 am

Shadowfire wrote:I am thoroughly against an RPG style inventory where you hold huge amounts of things magically. That said, if you're dealing with shopkeepers or something I don't think having a screen there is unreasonable.

I would also prefer being able to hold few items at once, so long as it doesn't necessitate item juggling or that we give up nearly every decent thing we find.

It's not going to stop modders from adding it in ;) And I'll make sure I do.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 am

Zhukov wrote:Although it would be nice to be able to holster both weapons and go unarmed.
Ditto on that one there, brother.

myfaceisblue

Post by myfaceisblue » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:25 pm

I would like a inventory system but Resident Evil 5 style. Think it would go well

invertin

Re: No thanks.

Post by invertin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:39 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:If there ARE items like herbs or salves or bandages or anything like that I guess a normal inventory would suffice
In that case, weapons go with Petethegoat's idea, and anything else goes in the backpack?

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:27 pm

RE5 had a horrible inventory system. 12 boxes of shotgun ammo takes up the same amount of space as a single Green Herb? Also slots are terrible in general.

Anyway, going WAAAAAAAAAAY back to when L2 first got announced, Wolfire wanted to go with a physics-based system. Having seen the backpacks in game, I think it would work. Now, obviously you want to be carrying weapons on your person at all times, and maybe a couple of useful items on your belt as well.

However, a big part of the real-time physics-based inventory was making you have to make tough choices. Do you drop your bag when you see an enemy, and fight them with what you have? Do you stay a distance away, prepare for the fight by grabbing items out of your bag and dropping them on the ground, risking your enemy taking them as well? Do you fight them with your bag on and hope the encumbrance it causes doesn't leave you at a disadvantage? Do you retreat to pull out some more throwing knives or your backup dagger if your current weapon breaks, or do you continue fighting unarmed?

tl;dr: Physics-based inventory could be a good decision, because it encourages tactics. Also you can fit stuff in the same way you would in reality. The only con would be making a system that isn't too complicated.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 pm

The problem with having a complete physics based inventory, complete with a pack, is that it would get too repetitive. While the first few fights would be awesome, having to drop your pack (assuming you're using that tactic) for every fight would get stale. Especially since one of the tactics would probably prove to be more effective than the others, causing players to always use it.

Depending on the type of weapons, maybe having physics like in petethegoat's example, and having more weapons would impact your maneuverability? So that having a hammer in slot 3 would make you move much slower where as a sword or staff would allow more agility.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:26 am

Jeff wrote:I'm the only one who likes the magic backpack like in MGS IV where you can equip any weapon you want at any time? :cry:
Yes

Real life just isn't realistic enough for us, we need our games to fill that hole: this is why you see so many girls with huge breasts in video games.

For those trying to figure out what my opinion is on this matter, understand that I consider my own opinion just as ridiculous as everyone else's, especially if said opinions pertain to "realism". I do reckon the ability to carry an armory around on your back would detract from the whole "unarmed combat/disarming/using the enemies weapons against them" thing - I mean, if you get disarmed you could just pull out another sword, and another, and another, and another...

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:28 am

Alright, instead of a backpack, some sort of pouch or bag. Small enough to fit one or two knives in, far too small for swords and such, and also just enough room for some support items (if there are any in this game)

It could also be used for the story, maybe certain missions require you take something to another place.

And, if water and drinking has any affect, it could be waterproof.

Multipurpose bag thing.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 am

Nothing wrong with having a couple of throwing weapons hidden about your person, along with any other little object you may have collected, but I reckon the whole lugging booty around thing would detract from the one man army travelling light cross-country: this shouldn't become a loot collection game.

Xerxes713

Post by Xerxes713 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:44 pm

I like the physics-based idea, but it would have to be two-dimensional or the control would get screwed up. I am assuming that you would use the mouse to grab things, unless there was another idea?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 am

invertin wrote:And, if water and drinking has any affect, it could be waterproof.

Multipurpose bag thing.
Hmm, yes, great idea, use your weapons bag, with knives in it, as a waterbag, too! multifunction galore!
Hmm, I'll just have a sip of water now— ARRGHGHLHLGHLHLLLLRLLLGLHGHLGHLGHL!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: No thanks.

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

invertin wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:If there ARE items like herbs or salves or bandages or anything like that I guess a normal inventory would suffice
In that case, weapons go with Petethegoat's idea, and anything else goes in the backpack?
No, weapons go with Petethegoat's idea, and anything else go into a simple inventory.

No need for groundbreaking technology for an inventory.

Are you talking about having the weapons actually rendered in-game while being inside the backpack? Like the backpack model is loaded and at the same time is holding the models of the items inside it? I think that would be needless and would cause a silly amount of slowdown with the items constantly bouncing up and down in your backpack. That could be done without.

If you're simply talking about him having a backpack on his back that holds your inventory, then that might be plausible...that's even stretching it in my view.