Why not battles ? ^^

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
TimeToRule

Why not battles ? ^^

Post by TimeToRule » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:44 am

It'd be cool to have battles like some rabbits & turner vs wolves or whatever , i just mean like turner and some of his friends are in a village.Suddenly , some cats or whatever , come and attack the village.And not only Turner killing them , but all his friends attacking the cats.Like , turner fights the cats and his friends in the same time taking care for the other ones.And that'd be cool. :)
a battle :)

Arch3r

Re: Why not battles ? ^^

Post by Arch3r » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 am

I think they already planned that.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 am

So, what you're basically suggesting is fights where there are multiple combatants on either side.

Why not indeed.

TimeToRule

Re:

Post by TimeToRule » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Zhukov wrote:So, what you're basically suggesting is fights where there are multiple combatants on either side.

Why not indeed.
Exactly!! :)
I was just afraid OG was going to be like Lugaru , where you are alone in the fight scenes...

Arch3r

Post by Arch3r » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 pm

From convo's from irc I could pretty much conclude that there will be such thing. No more being the only one who makes kills. :)

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Why am I reminded of those RP's? Your in a Tavern, when the Village/City gets attacked and the team dispatchs them?

TimeToRule

Post by TimeToRule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 am

Chainsaw man wrote:Why am I reminded of those RP's? Your in a Tavern, when the Village/City gets attacked and the team dispatchs them?
Well, you take 70 % of them and the others are cleaning the remaining 30 % ^^

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:10 pm

I don't think making friendly AI should be too awful hard. Just make certain people aligned to a certain faction (In level editor, faction 1, 2, 3, etc>?) who are neutral, aggressive, or friendly with other factions and such (you could even change a person' faction using a script or something.)

Then all you need to do is put down a few people and Turner, then have some be on Turner's side and some on the enemies' side. Instant friendly AI.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Would be amazing to have battles, but I'm guessing that adds a lot more work for the team and they're going to need to start selling the game eventually. Hope to see it, but not expecting it.

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:32 pm

if there will be huge battles then the 360 kick MUST be able to hit multiple people

EDIT: o wait im pre sure you could do that in lugaru anyway

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Darwinian wrote:if there will be huge battles then the 360 kick MUST be able to hit multiple people

EDIT: o wait im pre sure you could do that in lugaru anyway
AFAIK you couldn't, but I agree in that you should be able to.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Why? It doesn't work like that in real life, and it would reward you for getting surrounded. And why would the game need a 360 kick any way? 180 kick I could see, but not much more. You are talking about the arc made by the leg, right?

Zhukov

Yes, but...

Post by Zhukov » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:58 pm

I am only interested in seeing "battles" if the friendly characters are competent. If there is a good reason for them not being able to fight well, then they must be good at running away and/or hiding.

Having to hold the hand of a half-arsed AI character is one of the least fun and most frustrating experiences a game can offer.

GaGrin

Re: Yes, but...

Post by GaGrin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Zhukov wrote:I am only interested in seeing "battles" if the friendly characters are competent. If there is a good reason for them not being able to fight well, then they must be good at running away and/or hiding.

Having to hold the hand of a half-arsed AI character is one of the least fun and most frustrating experiences a game can offer.
For the most part the AI in lugaru was certainly competant as far as fighting goes, and even had enough awareness to retreat for help if they were clearly losing. If they can come up with a system for targetting non-player avatars then you've got a basic, but working system.

I wouldn't expect M&B style leading of troops. Unless the devs seriously change direction this is still going to be a story-driven game of a chain of pre-determined violent events.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Lol. Did anyone else laugh when they read the first post? He's very sincere about the whole thing. "A battle! It could work! :D" Plus the way he was explaining it in such simple language as if we wouldn't understand it otherwise. :lol:

The many lol's aside, I agree with the prospect of there being levels or scenarios where you have friendly AI to contribute.

Something that would be cool (but is almost 99.99% likely not to happen) would be if you were being chased by a wolf, see one of your friends, grab them, and throw them at the wolf for them to be killed by it instead. Then you could get an achievement at the end saying "Ruthless Opportunist" or something. lol