Overgrowth on Linux status

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Chameleon

Re: Overgrowth on linux

Post by Chameleon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:48 am

In case anyone missed it, there's an encouraging note at the end of the a117 weekly build release stating the following:
Note! No Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Awesomium for these. AJS says that Linux support is on the horizon, but we cannot make any concrete estimates for it. In the meantime, we are working with the creator of Berkelium to switch to that, which has a Linux build, so we will no longer be dependent on Awesomium.
Berkelium is an artificially element on the periodic table created in 1949, so most of the results you'll find from a search are related to that. However, I found more information about the Berkelium we're interested in here.

This is very good news for those of us using Linux.

Thanks Wolfire for hearing our pleas.

admalledd

Post by admalledd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 am

as a note, a46 had the "waiting for Awesomium" thing, and it seems that from the start there was never a linux build (at least that I can find...)

a104 was the first time for the "switch to Berkelium" post, kind of getting annoying with no news on any front...

<rage> here they tout on their blog cross-platform compatibility and leave linux high and dry
</rage>

sorry, its just that I have no windows computer (except my collection of a libbretto 50ct running windows 95, and a IBM thinkpad that was upgraded to windows 3.15) to play overgrowth on, and watching isn't enough!

TL;DR can we have some new-er oficial news on what the plans are/progress of said plans are for getting some linux running builds? (even if i have to use WINE again!)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Everything in Overgrowth is designed to be totally cross-platform and we strongly believe that Linux support is important.

When the time is right, Ryan Gordon (the most awesome Linux game developer) will jump into Overgrowth and masterfully port it to Linux. When is the time right? I am not sure, he has been very busy.

Please do not bother him about it though!

That's basically all the news. Everything is ready to go on our end, we just need a good Linux developer to check out the code.

If you guys know of other awesome Linux developers, and would be willing to help compile Overgrowth on Linux, send me an email at [email protected]

dyrvere

Post by dyrvere » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:07 am

I'm just happy if we get a Linux version before the end of the year. As Awesomium devs seem to be gearing up to get a beta version with the Linux support in during the next coming weeks or so. Wish them and Ryan lots of luck! :)

davidc

Post by davidc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 am

FYI, the RC3 for Awesomium 1.6 is out. Still no sign of Linux support.

davidc

Post by davidc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:37 am

http://www.khrona.com/2011/02/16/top-six-new-features/
Davidc says:
February 16, 2011 at 7:28 am
Kudos for the release, I’m really looking forward to being able to actually use Awesomium. Do you have any good news for Linux users?

Robert says:
February 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm
@Davidc: Thanks! We’re testing the new Linux build right now, aiming for a release in the next week or two.
:)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:43 am

Jeff wrote:Everything in Overgrowth is designed to be totally cross-platform and we strongly believe that Linux support is important.

When the time is right, Ryan Gordon (the most awesome Linux game developer) will jump into Overgrowth and masterfully port it to Linux. When is the time right? I am not sure, he has been very busy.

That's basically all the news. Everything is ready to go on our end, we just need a good Linux developer to check out the code.

If you guys know of other awesome Linux developers, and would be willing to help compile Overgrowth on Linux, send me an email at [email protected]
I'd suggest you'd put the same question on some other sites such as IndieDB, Phoronix and perhaps a Linux gaming website?

mattjohn0169

Post by mattjohn0169 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 am

davidc wrote:http://www.khrona.com/2011/02/16/top-six-new-features/
Davidc says:
Kudos for the release, I’m really looking forward to being able to actually use Awesomium. Do you have any good news for Linux users?

Robert says:
@Davidc: Thanks! We’re testing the new Linux build right now, aiming for a release in the next week or two.
YAY!

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:30 am

davidc wrote:http://www.khrona.com/2011/02/16/top-six-new-features/
Davidc says:

Robert says:
I never expected that to happen. Was expecting to wait a lot longer. This is certainly wondrous news! Thank you, Davidc!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:22 am

I guess the week is pretty much over soon, so any news?
I am still confused wether Wolfire is even going to use Awesomium, as I recall someone discussing Berkelium instead. So what are the plans at the moment?

jwagner

Post by jwagner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:15 am

Hi,

what's currently recommended for Linux-only users? Wait for a Linux build, or try an older version with wine?

Thx, -jens

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:19 am

jwagner wrote:Hi,

what's currently recommended for Linux-only users? Wait for a Linux build, or try an older version with wine?

Thx, -jens
Personally I am waiting for the (hopefully) soon coming Linux build.
But if you want to, some of the older alphas worked fine in Wine.

lizard

Post by lizard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Are there plans to 64-bit version?

klj

Post by klj » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:23 am

Jeff wrote:Everything in Overgrowth is designed to be totally cross-platform and we strongly believe that Linux support is important.

..so first You were waiting for Awesomium... then Berkelium - with no real updates on that front - and now that it seems that Awesomium is back into play, You're suddenly waiting for Ryan and for "the time to be right"??

If Overgrowth is indeed designed to be cross-platform from the start, waiting for Icculus sounds a bit like just another excuse for leaving Linux hanging. I'm sure You can manage it Yourself, so how about if You guys put some effort into it, get in touch with Adam Simmons over at Awesomium, and start prioritizing the Linux build as promised?

mattjohn0169

Post by mattjohn0169 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:10 pm

klj wrote:

..so first You were waiting for Awesomium... then Berkelium - with no real updates on that front - and now that it seems that Awesomium is back into play, You're suddenly waiting for Ryan and for "the time to be right"??

If Overgrowth is indeed designed to be cross-platform from the start, waiting for Icculus sounds a bit like just another excuse for leaving Linux hanging. I'm sure You can manage it Yourself, so how about if You guys put some effort into it, get in touch with Adam Simmons over at Awesomium, and start prioritizing the Linux build as promised?
That seems a little harsh, but I do think that doing the work in-house would make for the best Linux version of the game. The word 'port' doesn't exactly conjure pleasant images...