Overgrowth on Linux status

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
blackd

Re: Overgrowth on linux

Post by blackd » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Marcus wrote:
blackd wrote:Yes I do try it with wine... but it does not work.

unstable gentoo linux x86_64
wine 1.3.11
Tried doing what is told at the AppDB?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=20452

Yeap.

And updated wine to 1.3.15 now the 2 processes don't just die but don't woke either.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:19 pm

blackd wrote:
Marcus wrote:
blackd wrote:Yes I do try it with wine... but it does not work.

unstable gentoo linux x86_64
wine 1.3.11
Tried doing what is told at the AppDB?
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=20452

Yeap.

And updated wine to 1.3.15 now the 2 processes don't just die but don't woke either.
Better just wait for the native Linux client then.
I'm pretty sure they're working a little on it at the moment.

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Wilbefast wrote:http://www.wolfire.com/humble

It's still down there at the bottom: Linux was about a quarter of total revenue, more than Mac, and a higher price per purchase than either of the others.
Well, that is certainly note worthy. Although I think it was exaggerated slightly when it was said "easily two times as much". But still, note worthy.
Last edited by Midget_Cat on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattjohn0169

Post by mattjohn0169 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Midget_Cat wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:http://www.wolfire.com/humble

It's still down there at the bottom: Linux was about a quarter of total revenue, more than Mac, and a higher price per purchase than either of the others.
Well, that is certainly note worthy. Although I think you exaggerated slightly when you said "easily two times as much". But still, note worthy.
It may be exaggerated for the first bundle, but not for the second. As can be seen on http://www.humblebundle.com/, the Linux average was $13.78 and the Windows average $6.68, a ratio of 2.06.

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 am

Marcus wrote:Better just wait for the native Linux client then.
What leads you to the conclusion that they're working on a native Linux client?
I doubt they are. It will most likely happen at the end of development.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:07 am

Chameleon wrote:
Marcus wrote:Better just wait for the native Linux client then.
What leads you to the conclusion that they're working on a native Linux client?
I doubt they are. It will most likely happen at the end of development.
They've already made Ryan look at the source code. Asked them on IRC.

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 am

mattjohn0169 wrote:
It may be exaggerated for the first bundle, but not for the second. As can be seen on http://www.humblebundle.com/, the Linux average was $13.78 and the Windows average $6.68, a ratio of 2.06.
It appears the more obscure the operating system, the more they like to support the "little guys" that support them. Now, if an independently developed game is released on FreeBSD, and sold in fund raiser, I wonder how much they'd pay on average. Do they even play PC games? (The ones that run it elusively, that is).

dyrvere

Post by dyrvere » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am

Midget_Cat wrote:
mattjohn0169 wrote:
It appears the more obscure the operating system, the more they like to support the "little guys" that support them. Now, if an independently developed game is released on FreeBSD, and sold in fund raiser, I wonder how much they'd pay on average. Do they even play PC games? (The ones that run it elusively, that is).
I would figure the lately increase of Linux users is happening with Ubuntu, Mint, and all other debuntu based, which clearly are of a much larger scale than for BSD users. :) Most of them seem to have a need to play games also, is BSD even built with gaming in mind, say Graphic card vendors make drivers for it etc.

Midget_Cat

Post by Midget_Cat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:54 am

dyrvere wrote: I would figure the lately increase of Linux users is happening with Ubuntu, Mint, and all other debuntu based, which clearly are of a much larger scale than for BSD users. :) Most of them seem to have a need to play games also, is BSD even built with gaming in mind, say Graphic card vendors make drivers for it etc.
What's interesting is an official build of Debian has been made that lacks the Linux kernel, opting for a BSD kernel. Of course, you can still get the latest version with a Linux kernel of course, but it's interesting they've taken what many people call "the most influential Linux distro" and have taken out the Linux part. I think BSD is not built with gaming in mind, I was just trying to say, perhaps the more obscure groups appreciate support more than the people who take it for granted. You could probably get ATI drivers for BSD, with them releasing open source drivers and all, but I don't know about nVidia. Don't take my word for it, though, I've never run BSD before, nor have I read into graphics card drivers for it.

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

Marcus wrote:They've already made Ryan look at the source code. Asked them on IRC.
OG Weekly mentioned the same this week... I sit corrected!
I'm very glad to be, too!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 pm

Chameleon wrote:
Marcus wrote:They've already made Ryan look at the source code. Asked them on IRC.
OG Weekly mentioned the same this week... I sit corrected!
I'm very glad to be, too!
We shouldn't expect anything this weekend though.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=OTI3NA

watty

Post by watty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Does anyone know what the most recent build is that works through wine? a125 won't load at all...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 am

watty wrote:Does anyone know what the most recent build is that works through wine? a125 won't load at all...
I think the last OG in Wine I tried was 112... So afraid that I can't help you out much.
We should just cross our fingers that it's not far away.

dyrvere

Post by dyrvere » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:05 pm

watty wrote:Does anyone know what the most recent build is that works through wine? a125 won't load at all...
find Overgrowths Data directory, add an empty txt file called hwreport.txt and try to run the game again. Works for me, although as soon as I press 8 it will crash. But atleast you can load red desert and stuff like that..

watty

Post by watty » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 am

yeah I did try that - didn't work..

please release linux client asap! :)