Unofficial alpha 109, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial alpha 109, weekly build

Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 am

The unofficial, alpha 109 leaked build is here!

A "leaked build" is when John and I grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly! Please report bugs in our Trac system! Also, when you find a bug, please ping John as well.

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not even polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps not intended for public consumption.

New in this version: (see blog)

To download the alpha, use one of these links (please use the mirrors!)

Warning about the Windows build: I could not get it to run on my PC, so I think something is wrong with the installer. I will probably not have time to fix it this week for reasons that will be clear soon, so I recommend using 108 for now.

Win (exe): slow original fast EU mirror 1
MD5 = 0c84a4d537d103a0e69d99ad8332d1a2

Mac: slow original fast EU mirror 1
MD5 = fc49be1216ab6dcba3642008e7847192

Please use the speedy mirrors, they are graciously provided by Mow of FoCo Gaming and should provide much faster download speeds. They will also save us a lot of money. :D

Subscribe to the dev blog!

Please remember to uninstall the old version first and let us know how it works!

Note! No PPC, 10.4 Tiger, or Linux support at the moment -- we are waiting on Awesomium for these. AJS says that Linux support is on the horizon, but we cannot make any concrete estimates for it. In the meantime, we are working with the creator of Berkelium to switch to that, which has a Linux build, so we will no longer be dependent on Awesomium.

Endoperez

Re: Unofficial alpha 109, weekly build

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:23 am

You haven't done any explanatory blog posts in a while. It would be nice if you'd explain how the animations work with multiple characters, and what are the pros and cons of your implementation. A blog post about how you use Blender and how it has worked for you might also be worthwhile, to catch the interest of the Blender crowd.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 am

Yeah, it has been quite a burst in sales lately. I bet the new members would like to read some technical schtuff. I don't think it's very appealing to read through the whole collection of blog-posts, I know I didn't. Image

Side note, the new Judo Throw looks awesome. Image

tenchi24

Post by tenchi24 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 pm

any news on the fix for win version?
Its not a .dll file this time.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Epic game is Epic.

That is all.

Tally

Post by Tally » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:20 pm

"The procedure entry point [. . .] could not be located in the dynamic link library Awesomium.dll"

On Windows.

DRADA

Post by DRADA » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Tally wrote:"The procedure entry point [. . .] could not be located in the dynamic link library Awesomium.dll"

On Windows.
I get the same thing.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm

DRADA wrote:
Tally wrote:"The procedure entry point [. . .] could not be located in the dynamic link library Awesomium.dll"

On Windows.
I get the same thing.
And me. Shouldn't have got all excited too early it seems.

tenchi24

Post by tenchi24 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:19 pm

He does mention this in the post...

Hope he can fix it this week though, depsite him saying he cant in the post.

-- Coco --

Post by -- Coco -- » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Hello,

firstly, thanks for your awesome job :)

but is it possible to download only data which has been modified or added from the last week in order to do a local merge ?
I tell that because I'm currently downloading your alphas through a poor "network access" which disconnect me every 2 hours (and the download-time is near of 2:10 u_u ).

I can't wait to back to home this weekend, to get an efficient "network access" ; and try this new alpha :D

secondly : sorry for my poor english.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 pm

-- Coco -- wrote:Hello,

firstly, thanks for your awesome job :)

but is it possible to download only data which has been modified or added from the last week in order to do a local merge ?
They know it's an issue for some people, and looked into some options a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything in months.

If you are using Windows, note that this week's alpha doesn't seem to work.
First post wrote:Warning about the Windows build: I could not get it to run on my PC, so I think something is wrong with the installer. I will probably not have time to fix it this week for reasons that will be clear soon, so I recommend using 108 for now.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the problems with the windows build. If you extract this and copy it over the existing Overgrowth.exe it should fix them. Thanks for your patience!

http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/A109exe.zip

yndaaa

Post by yndaaa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm

This is the best game ever existed! I Tried advertising this at my school but they all went "No you're a furry get out" And i was like! I Am not a furry i just like judo and i like Wolfire, so you idiots buy it or else ill write you up to the people who didn't come at school today :twisted:

Haha, anyway will you add some kind of Zooming if it does not exist already?

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks Ninjas, that seems to have done the trick :)

Throws are huge fun :D and they seem to interrupt attacks acting as a counter-attack of sorts.

I'll have to try them out versus multiple opponents, throws seem to do moderate damage but are fairly slow to actually complete, so that might make them weak while outnumbered.

EDIT:
Yup. Now, maybe it's my imagination, but I think the AI is more aggressive now which makes being outnumbered much more harsh than it was, since you can't rely on using attacks to defeat them as fast as they approach you. The throws are very nice for countering (and brutally effective against individual opponents) but they leave you hugely vulnerable to mob-attacks if you don't have some space around you.

tenchi24

Post by tenchi24 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 pm

It seems that the jump kick works fine until you do a throw, after that if you try to do a jump kick it..does the throw in mid air and breaks clipping badly, it will keep doing this until you do a regular punch or kick, after that the jump kick works again.