[Character] The "Bear Clan" character returns!

Andrige

Re: The "Bear Clan" character returns!

Post by Andrige » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks! You're awesome Korban3 <3

I'm going to take a look at it tonight for sure. I'll get that 2.55 version as well.
And yes definitively need completely new animations, I just wonder how complex the ragdolling/attacks will be though :S

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Andrige wrote:Thanks! You're awesome Korban3 <3

I'm going to take a look at it tonight for sure. I'll get that 2.55 version as well.
And yes definitively need completely new animations, I just wonder how complex the ragdolling/attacks will be though :S

I consider myself as a sort of Blender guru. I haven't met any professional Blender users, and I'm not a pro myself, so I'm not THAT good, but I should still be able to answer most of your questions.

If you haven't done it yet, open up User Preferences and go to Input. Under "Presets", there's "Maya". I don't know how close it is to actual Maya, but it might be worth a try.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, change "Select With" to "Left". You can get used to the Blender way, but since Blender is the only 3D app that works that way, it's much easier to just change it.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Endoperez wrote: I consider myself as a sort of Blender guru. I haven't met any professional Blender users, and I'm not a pro myself, so I'm not THAT good, but I should still be able to answer most of your questions.

If you haven't done it yet, open up User Preferences and go to Input. Under "Presets", there's "Maya". I don't know how close it is to actual Maya, but it might be worth a try.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, change "Select With" to "Left". You can get used to the Blender way, but since Blender is the only 3D app that works that way, it's much easier to just change it.
Good to hear, I'll throw a question your way once I have one.
I did also check in with the "Maya" settings, but it's really just a blatantly terrible version of it, not even the translate, rotate, scale and such are at the usual buttons (Q,W,E,R), so the only thing that carries across is the camera movement but the rest is just borked. So not close enough, but I'll learn Blender's setup fairly quickly I think.

last

Post by last » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Little warning for you. Do not make normals map for eyeballs unless you want to your character eyes look weird.
Here is a example:
OvergrowthScreenshot00051.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00050.jpg

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Ragdolls will be pretty simple since the .phxbn rig format kind of automatically ragdolls a character. Like my fox and raptor are both functional as ragdolls and can attack. But for things to have IK, you'll have to set up IK constraints on the arms and legs. The best thing for that is to look at the pre-existing blender files of the rigs and emulate that for the arms, legs, and then other IK things.

You'll need to make new attack xml files though since they'll probably use different animations. But the characters have a specific xml file that defines their attacks that are available and what animation set is used for movement and such. That's why my fox and the wolf can have a different set of attacks than Turner or Robert.

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Korban3 wrote:Ragdolls will be pretty simple since the .phxbn rig format kind of automatically ragdolls a character. Like my fox and raptor are both functional as ragdolls and can attack. But for things to have IK, you'll have to set up IK constraints on the arms and legs. The best thing for that is to look at the pre-existing blender files of the rigs and emulate that for the arms, legs, and then other IK things.

You'll need to make new attack xml files though since they'll probably use different animations. But the characters have a specific xml file that defines their attacks that are available and what animation set is used for movement and such. That's why my fox and the wolf can have a different set of attacks than Turner or Robert.
Hard to take it all in right now but I'll get there eventually. But good to hear that it fixes the ragdolls somewhat automatically, I was kinda worried I had to set up two skeletons or something.
last wrote:Little warning for you. Do not make normals map for eyeballs unless you want to your character eyes look weird.
Here is a example:
OvergrowthScreenshot00051.jpg
OvergrowthScreenshot00050.jpg
Hm! Yes I probably will not use normals on them, I don't think Terminator eyes would fit too well on this one :o

Anyway, I am currently going through tutorials (link for anyone interested) as the program gave me a serious case of overload. I can't even see the connections for the controllers to the skeleton, and for some unexplainable reason I even managed to convert the nicely made curve-controllers into joints.
Hnngh.

Tons of stuff I need to know to make the rig work since I can't modify really, I need to recreate it to some extent. Well, anyway this is a GREAT excuse to learn Blender, and from the tutorials I've seen so far it's not a bad idea either! Maya is perhaps less obscure and more of a standard in the industry, but then again it costs $3,495 -_-

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:36 am

Ouch, expensive. Yeah Blender is pretty awesome once you've got it figured out. Can take a while though, even if you've got experience with other 3D software.

confused

Post by confused » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:51 am

The bear lost its cuddly cuteness and looks stunningly amazing :shock:
Absolutely great work, i hope you can keep up the motivation to fight through the rigging and animation trouble!
We will support you in any way we can, don't give up :wink:

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Just wanted to say that I'm making progress on the Blender skeleton. I have been watching tutorials and taking notes diligently of the absolute ton of shortcuts and hotkeys you'd need to know before going into the program seriously. I've been very swamped with work at the university as well, doing another character and then learning how to process motion-capture data made from actors in Germany. Not all that easy!

I think I understand Aubrey's rig better now as I've been able to modify the deform skeleton as well as placing the controller skeleton and reverse skeleton (I think) where I want them to be (ish). It still looks like a morphing blob that is far, far away from where it should be. But feet, head, arms and hands are actually following the Wolf's movement. I just need to create a better skinweight (the way the mesh follows the skeleton) since it's only auto-created so far, properly aligning the controller skeleton to the deformer skeleton, and if possible add some joints for the stomach so it can be animated as well.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Yeah, the auto-rig is handy, but it doesn't usually bring great results. Have you learned how to manually skin a mesh in Blender yet?

Andrige

Post by Andrige » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 am

I have only dabbled a little with the skinweighting in Blender but I think I got it. Although considering how this program works I'd be better off watching a tutorial so I can know about the gajillion hotkeys that could make it easier :p

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Haha, yeah Blender's hotkeys. I learned to do a lot of the stuff in Blender without them, so its easier to find some stuff, but slower. There are some commands that apparently have to be done via hotkeys, like selecting non-manifold vertices and stuff.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:10 am

Korban3 wrote:Haha, yeah Blender's hotkeys. I learned to do a lot of the stuff in Blender without them, so its easier to find some stuff, but slower. There are some commands that apparently have to be done via hotkeys, like selecting non-manifold vertices and stuff.
There's a menu option for that. It's not in the Toolbar menu 'T', but in the menu in the 3D window, in 'Selection' - 'Select non-manifold'. And of course calling up the new fancy text box lets your write the name of the command in it, once you know what Blender calls it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Cool. i forgot about that awesome search box. I haven't used Blender for a while. I still have to work on Konoko's rig too. Ugh, I need to cut down on things I'm involved in. Never enough time for extra fun stuff and game development and and jazz music. Hmm. Maybe I should put together a really loose schedule. off-topic babbling, off-topic babbling.

ANyways, Andrige. Can't wait for this guy to be working. Gonna be awesome.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:10 am

that looks SO awesome!