Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 pm

leDoOd wrote:^ That formula is flawed, because then a person could grind weak monsters for a few hours, get 1000 gold, and buy 1000 gold's worth of potions... rather than having to earn these things through experience.
leDoOd wrote:Then it would be cheap, cause you could just keep pressing the buttons to draw and throw knives over and over.
These are tough arguements because they have very simple solutions. Grinding weak monsters would bag you 1000, alright. Let's say potions are worth 700 and harder opponents give you more (obviously), then there's no real insentive in grinding these guys, and if you do, so what? It's not a whole lot that you're somehow cheating the game. And, you should be able to choose when to progress in difficulty yourself, because there's no other way for a developer to guess work when each person has gained enough in experience, each person learns faster or slower.

And the knives in the backpack is solved by increasing the time to rummage through your stuff by a half second or two. Plenty of time to get kicked in the process.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm just trying to help Lugaru 2 not become another monotonous game! :P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:36 am

yeah yeah, I agree that the whole potion thing is lame. You don't need an infinite source of extra power, because this isn't a standard beat em up where each attack always deals the same damage. I'm just saying that it would be funner for those if they got to earn things how they wanted, so the difficulty changes, but only by the player. If it's too hard he goes down a level, too easy and he goes up a level.

I think carrying around a backpack wouldn't cause the game to play monotonous though. If you were planning to get into a fight, you'd drop your bag down and go. But you shouldn't be banned from carrying your bag into a fight, merely because knives are way too cheap to throw... like Invertin said, sometimes it would be much easier to just wear your bag, and be penalized by the wieght instead of having to drop it everytime you get into a fight. That could get monotonous.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:13 pm

Drop your bag as in leave it on the ground? I smell another 'Cloudsong' coming on ...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:46 am

GaGrin wrote:It may be only me, but I don't like changing view-points mid-game the idea of going first person in an anthromorphic psycho killer... just puts me off okay? I just don't think things would or should look the same for him as they do for us.
Why not? He's not a fly or some shit. Dungeon Keeper did that for when you posessed creatures. Like the Hellhounds saw in grey, no colours, and the flies had that weird panel thing for them. Anyway, I wouldn't see why it should be any different.

Or there could be the over-the-shoulder sight like in Resident Evil 4 and stuff.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:57 am

What about adding in the ability to angle the swing of your stick/sword/knife/blade/box/rabbit/sign/trashcan weapon by moving your mouse? For example, you have yourself a nice wolf beating-stick and you want to break their collarbone (or whatever...), so when you click, you slide the mouse a in a downward slashing motion, angling the attack.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:07 am

No idea why but I thought just now of some different species..

Cows & Bulls
Cows would be a peaceful species, who own farms and sell fruit, veg and milk.(And when you get to a milk shop the first time, turner is a bit nervous about buying a liquid that came from that far down the body :D )

Insects
Mabye insects are anphrom- can't spell it. But still tiny, (Stick insect "Come on! I'll take you on!" Turner "what wa that squeaking?")

P.S You can make your own stick insect in lugaru! (He is pretty fast..)
size 0.5
proportion 0 0.1 0.1 0.1
speed 2

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:55 am

Grayswandir wrote:What about adding in the ability to angle the swing of your stick/sword/knife/blade/box/rabbit/sign/trashcan weapon by moving your mouse? For example, you have yourself a nice wolf beating-stick and you want to break their collarbone (or whatever...), so when you click, you slide the mouse a in a downward slashing motion, angling the attack.
I think that would be kind of cumbersome. I've never actually played a game like that, but still..

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 pm

zatoichi wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:What about adding in the ability to angle the swing of your stick/sword/knife/blade/box/rabbit/sign/trashcan weapon by moving your mouse? For example, you have yourself a nice wolf beating-stick and you want to break their collarbone (or whatever...), so when you click, you slide the mouse a in a downward slashing motion, angling the attack.
I think that would be kind of cumbersome. I've never actually played a game like that, but still..
Time Commando Used an Idea like that. you hold Attack and Press Forwards to Unleash a Powerful attack and then you use Left and Right for the Flanking attacks to get the Foe open for Front attack, ETC.

how ever. a System of Swinging the Blade with the Mouse sounds Great... anyone want to say otherwise?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:41 pm

It would be awesome, but there should also be normal attacks like
in L1 (with the new physics in L2 of course).
It shouldn't be used too often.. only when you have time to prepare it.
Imagine a wolf running (animal-running, not standing) at you.
You lower yourself to a jump ready position, and raise your sword with
maybe holding second mouse button and moving it.
And just as the wolf jumps at you to bite face off you jump, flip, and move
the mouse down quick. The wolf gets paralyzed by the fact that his back
is all cut up, and flies into the tree that was behind you, and breaks his neck! :twisted:

There's something I feel will be uncomfortable about having to move your mouse as quick as you would do with a sword, though, so it should be really sensitive to mouse movements too... or something.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:37 pm

Well, maybe it should be optional or something? So you don't HAVE to use the mouse motions...

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:01 pm

Just port Lugaru to the Wii.

Anyways, I'm against the whole idea. There are more than a few flash games that uses that idea and so far I have yet to see it well implemented with a mouse.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Not like the wii...well...not exactly...
For example...you draw your sword...
You hold down left-click, which does a normal attack by itself...but lets say you want to cut off their legs or something...So you crouch and while holding left-click you swing the mouse in a counter-clockwise motion, ending near the top of your mousepad...making Turner swing the sword from the right in a horizontal slash...something like that.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:09 pm

Grayswandir wrote:Well, maybe it should be optional or something? So you don't HAVE to use the mouse motions...
That's what I mean. You could do it if you wanted to, but it would be alot
harder..

..Oh, new post.
That sounds good, Gray.

Feral Youth

Post by Feral Youth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:41 pm

An old game called "Die by the Sword" actually used a system where, if I remember correctly, you moved the tip of your sword using the mouse (the sword-tip was like the cursor) and then you could click to extend your arm so you could do stuff like stab enemies in the face of cut off their legs (the game actually implemented limb severing). It was very hard to play but very cool when you actually managed to do it.