Additions to Lugaru 2: Open-ended-ness

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 14, 2006 9:43 am

I agree with the auto-save thing. I hate games where you have to wait until the next checkpoint so you can quit the game. Sometimes I'd have something to do, somewhere to go, but I can't quit because I haven't got to the next save point. Auto-save would be a welcome addition for me, thank you.

Also, the revival thing is just a bit stupid and farfetched. How about when you die, you're dead?

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun May 14, 2006 4:36 pm

Silb wrote:What about actually putting something at risk when you choose to fight? :P

If I recall correctly Lugaru 2 is planned to have less of a steep learning curve. Plus you should be able to work around combats.
Ha ha ha! Hell no, you know I'd take the chicken shit approach! :P
If there was, I'd easily take the option to roll up in a ball and hope the badguys leave me alone. Better yet, a begging/surrender move to keep me from getting massacred. I like to bring out really long scenes, so I wish there'd be a way to end a fighting without running away or having to kill every one.

Just an idea for openness, a way to let the enemies run away after a fight, a way to ditch the enemies and escape a fight, to surrender, and a way to get back up when the enemies leave you for dead.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Sun May 14, 2006 5:16 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I agree with the auto-save thing. I hate games where you have to wait until the next checkpoint so you can quit the game. Sometimes I'd have something to do, somewhere to go, but I can't quit because I haven't got to the next save point. Auto-save would be a welcome addition for me, thank you.

Also, the revival thing is just a bit stupid and farfetched. How about when you die, you're dead?
That's what quicksave is for. When you quicksave, the game saves your position and exits. When you reload that save, it is deleted.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Or the other way round: Exit -> Save. Enter -> Load.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 16, 2006 11:16 am

hdlsa wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:I agree with the auto-save thing. I hate games where you have to wait until the next checkpoint so you can quit the game. Sometimes I'd have something to do, somewhere to go, but I can't quit because I haven't got to the next save point. Auto-save would be a welcome addition for me, thank you.

That's what quicksave is for. When you quicksave, the game saves your position and exits. When you reload that save, it is deleted.
And that's what I was saying. I was pointing out quicksave (I said auto-save, whoops) would be the best idea, because waiting for save points at certain points in the game is just seriously irritating.

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Wed May 17, 2006 4:45 pm

I've just started playing Zelda games, and I think somthing like a hookshot could be really cool (but able to break and rust).

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed May 17, 2006 7:31 pm

I don't see any problem with being able to be able to exit and then reload where you were when you exited. In terms of gameplay, that is akin to pausing.

The real problem is a free quick save that you can use whenever you want. That has crippling gameplay ramifications, since it basically allows you to go back in time whenever you want and totally changes the way you play the game.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed May 17, 2006 9:09 pm

How about you just need to find somewhere safe, and sleep?

So you would have to repeat the day over, and all the shit that you did then. -shrug- Sure, you could go back in time, but you'd have to die first. Just start there when you die, and when you quit it saves exactly where you are.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 17, 2006 9:28 pm

Ya, I remeber somes games that used that feature.
Diablo 2 for one (not sure about the original one), had that system that created save points for each individual character. I think it would keep streaming up save points because even if you alt-f4 the game (doing a forced program shut down) or just hit the power button, the game still manages to save your program (manages to do it when the game crashes too).

And this makes it have both good and bad sides. The obvious reason for why it works is that you don't have to care about stopping at all, you can do it whever you want, it doesn't even matter if you get a power outage.
And the drawback is (which is apparently a good thing, depending on how you look at it), you can't go experimenting (since there's no turning back once you've done something) and you have to change some gameplay (or else you couldn't go back if you did something really bad, like if you died or got into a die-die situation). So you would probably have to add in a way to revive yourself or something. Course you could have a normal save and an auto-save too, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of not having a quicksave (since both could be converted into a quick-save if players wanted to do so). This is a pretty hard choice for the team, I have no idea what's good and what's bad. Man, I was not expecting such hard decisions like this, but it's David, so you know he'll make the right thing for Lugaru 2. (lol, David never fails, what high standards he has to compete with, himself)
'lol' is fun word, I need to use it more often

Edit: well I don't see anything wrong with the resting feature. Kinda reminds of Harvest Moon too, man those were days, having to spend a full 25 minutes just to finish a single day, those games were always fun. :P
(seriously guys Harvest Moon was fun, I'm sure it wouldn't take that long to find a resting point for Lugaru. Oh yeah I remember a game that used this, GTA! It's the perfect save system for a sandbox game)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu May 18, 2006 10:27 am

As said before: Saving and going back in time if you want to choose a different path is the same as cheating in life. :evil:

Gronlbad

Post by Gronlbad » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:28 pm

make sallad that you get HP of :)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:53 am

Gronlbad wrote:make sallad that you get HP of :)
Speaking of salads, do guys eat it with Ranch dressing or that Italian vinegar stuff? Anybody eat it with that sweet tasting thousand island thing, how about raw? I personally cannot stand raw salad just by the fact that it is extremely bitter tasting, well, not if you're one of those people that only eats lettuce if it comes from fast food (nothing wrong with that... I think it's safe), also known as Iceberg lettuce.
Nuky wrote:As said before: Saving and going back in time if you want to choose a different path is the same as cheating in life. :evil:
Exactly, so something like a rest feature would also work as a quicksave then, and that's bad I guess. So, I think (if I can guess a little bit), Renegade wanted an auto-save thingy but then later was convinced to call it a quick-save thingy... got lost a little there.

Okay, and then Jeff, had the idea of only saving right when you exited. Meaning you could be in the middle of something, quit, and then get back to it whenever you wanted to. Something like a long term 'pause' button (that nintendo DS game, Mario Cart uses this, I think most others too. You can be right in the middle of a race, the bus comes, so you just fold up the screen, and go back to playing exactly where you left off, when you get back home.)

Anyways, now you have to think about death again. A system that wouldn't let you quick-save to go back again if you died, would mean that Oblivion's permanent death thing wouldn't work. And depending on how you think about it, the first Lugaru's system wouldn't work because you'd have that infinite retry thing, which could be viewed as the same thing as quick-saving. Although, I think that system would have to be applied just to make scripted missions do-able (less, you want to go Fallout style and let the missions be entirely open to success or fail) All deaths would have to be revivable then.

And pretty much all adventure games uses this system of revival. Like in GTA, you're driving a car and a bunch of mafia people blow up your vehicle and you explode. You come back from the hospital a few hours later (six hours, I think), and are completely healthy again. Or as in Diablo, you load straight back to some "Village place" whenever you die, which is quite often. The punishment for this style was that you had to retrieve your dead body to get your stuff again.

It seems like these are the only 2 options Lugaru 2 would have to pick in order to respawn again. They're both very light hearted as you are magically teleported back to your some what "safe-zone." That's sort of where I was going with that funky knock-out idea, instead of teleporting back to town, you could just wake up where you left off. It would be more realistic only if you buy into the idea that the enemy is going to let you go alive and unconscious.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:36 am

I don't think we will be using either of those options. Dying and being seriously injured will have serious consequences in L2, but won't be nearly as common as in L1.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:13 pm

David wrote:I don't think we will be using either of those options. Dying and being seriously injured will have serious consequences in L2, but won't be nearly as common as in L1.
Great answer, I really didn't like the idea of another one of those petty respawn things you see in other action adventure games. I can't imagine what kind of gameplay is being planned, especially if you have to not only worry about death, but injuries too.
Albab, taken [u]way[/u] out of context. wrote:...the fact that it appears that you can do ANTHING -an appearent farming system, towns, (I bet) high level interaction with NPCs- Just about anything...
Man, and after seeing trees, furnature, and complex movements, towns look like they're going to rule!

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Zantalos wrote:
David wrote:I don't think we will be using either of those options. Dying and being seriously injured will have serious consequences in L2, but won't be nearly as common as in L1.
Great answer, I really didn't like the idea of another one of those petty respawn things you see in other action adventure games. I can't imagine what kind of gameplay is being planned, especially if you have to not only worry about death, but injuries too.
Albab, taken [u]way[/u] out of context. wrote:...the fact that it appears that you can do ANTHING -an appearent farming system, towns, (I bet) high level interaction with NPCs- Just about anything...
Man, and after seeing trees, furnature, and complex movements, towns look like they're going to rule!
I love seeing myself out of context. Fwee.

It's true, though. I like it a lot, the way the towns the towns the towns... And stuff. My armpit hurts. =0