Yes, only salves
7%
No, niether
7%

Total votes: 15

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 pm

Healing Slaves i don't think should be usable in combat and have Spillage Danger
Slaves? Not salves? Cool; Henchmen.
I believe the Spillage Danger means some %chance that, while moving about in combat/jumping/etc, the salve will spill out of the container, wasting it.
Though, I thought herbal meds usually take on a powder/gel-like form; Or as a mix that you put into a tea. This would completely circumvent the issue of spillage.
Or, shockingly, Turner could get himself a bottle with a screw-on lid.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 pm

Fournine wrote:
Healing Slaves i don't think should be usable in combat and have Spillage Danger
Slaves? Not salves? Cool; Henchmen.
I believe the Spillage Danger means some %chance that, while moving about in combat/jumping/etc, the salve will spill out of the container, wasting it.
Though, I thought herbal meds usually take on a powder/gel-like form; Or as a mix that you put into a tea. This would completely circumvent the issue of spillage.
Or, shockingly, Turner could get himself a bottle with a screw-on lid.
Alright, makes sense now I guess.

...Spillage, pfff, yeah, of course.

Lid > Cup

and nobody stores medicine in a damn cup, I mean... c'mon. The thing about using it in combat is more of a common sense thing though, people will know when and when not to use something like this. That is, since medicine isn't going to be the Diablo style where all you have to do is tap the '1,' '2,' '3,' '4,' hotkeys and you get instant, fast recovering health.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:43 pm

The potions in diablo weren't instant, they healed over time. I think it would be more like a system with cooldowns on potions anyways.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:50 pm

Yeah, I didn't make much sense in that. What I meant was that you instantaniously consume your potions, there's no stop to take a drink animation. It's just, in the middle of you swinging your halberd and getting hit by Duriel you somehow find the time to grab 3 or 4 potions off your belt and consume them instantly. Your health is recovering daringly fast too, faster than you getting hit.

Although... I can't think of a single game that didn't do this. Even in MGS:Snake Eater, the time it takes for a boss to shoot you, you can bandage yourself up, eat a whole Turkey, and inject yourself with a countless amount of instant "life shots."

Cooldowns make sense though. It doesn't make sense to take 15 drugs at once without over dosing. Fallout would only allow you to bandage yourself a few times a day, by then, you're completely wrapped and bandages can't help anymore.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:35 am

System Shock 2: Hypos, med-kits, and healing organs did healing over time. The only items that didn't do healing over time were food items, and that was because they only restored 1 hit point, anyway.

Metal of Honor series of games: Med-kits heal over time

NWN: uses turn-based action; had to wait until the computer determined it was your turn to act for your last command to take place. Even then, the healing was non-instantaneous, even though the time to complete healing from potions/magics was only around 0.5 seconds, anyway.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:06 am

I can think of a few things that i have been told are good medicine for Cuts and things. Alovera ( I think it is in the Cactus family, come back to me on that one) could be applied to cuts to help keep out Infections; I mainly Use Chilly powder because i like the Feel of it. the Alovera can be put under a Bandage and help the Clotting Process i think.

I think that healing, Eating, drinking should be a Non-Combat action.
I hate the Thought of a bottle of Red water being consumed to make you heal up. how could that work? the only good thing i have heard of that was The Potions Contain a Special Agent that replaces or rebuilds Lost or Damaged Cells at a Rapid rate. I think that was from the Game Genforge.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:49 pm

Let's not get too high techy here, though. I just thought, for example, you could get a mortar and pestle and just crush up some leaves, then either put it on your wound or put some on your dagger. And I hope that there won't be some annoying interface that says everything you have. Turner should be able to wear little pockety things to put stuff in so you can see what he has on his body. I hope it doesn't come to where he has a magic backpack that holds everything, or even worse, no obvious holding place at all!

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:35 pm

David adressed this, I think. He said that there would be no magic backpacks, and possibly hinted at a 3-D inventory. Cool, eh?

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:01 pm

3D backpacks for the win. I hope that in addition to storing stuff inside you can store stuff half inside half outside, like a trench tool or something. Also, it would be neat if you could also wear a belt with a small pouch or 2 that can hold small items such as bandages and such, so that you don'thave to run back to your rucksack to grab them. Instead just hide in a safe place, bandage yourself without fear of being seen, and when you feel a bit better you can get back to the fight.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:37 pm

Zantalos wrote:Although... I can't think of a single game that didn't do this. Even in MGS:Snake Eater, the time it takes for a boss to shoot you, you can bandage yourself up, eat a whole Turkey, and inject yourself with a countless amount of instant "life shots."
Playability > Realism.

Playability/fun has an easy and clear win over the aspect of realism, because you can do without realism, but you can't do without playablity.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:59 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: Playability > Realism.

Playability/fun has an easy and clear win over the aspect of realism, because you can do without realism, but you can't do without playablity.
Of course, though usually realism can be funner, alot of times it's funner.
Now, for MGS, that game can't do with realism in this sense. You take damage too easily, there's no time to stop in the middle of a battle to actually heal yourself. It's an constantly fast action espionage game, I never said it's bad because of this, it's just an example. (of games that do this, that is, health recovery that doesn't take time to execute)

The actual "discussion" ["Healing Slaves i don't think should be usable in combat and..."], was on when you could heal yourself. Not be able to heal yourself in battle, make it instant application (the example for Diablo and MGS), or have you actually sit down and heal yourself for like... 10 seconds . Which is more than enough time for an enemy to go up and kick you in the face (ten seconds seems like enough), you wouldn't heal yourself in combat, not because you simply can't hit the button, but because you know you can't pull it off. What you simply can't prove by saying Playability > Realism, a tad more realism usually means better playablitly, IMHO.
Fournine wrote:System Shock 2: Hypos, med-kits, and healing organs did healing over time. The only items that didn't do healing over time were food items, and that was because they only restored 1 hit point, anyway.

Metal of Honor series of games: Med-kits heal over time

NWN: uses turn-based action; had to wait until the computer determined it was your turn to act for your last command to take place. Even then, the healing was non-instantaneous, even though the time to complete healing from potions/magics was only around 0.5 seconds, anyway.
I don't, I mean, I already said that games use healing over time. I know this already, it's what I used Diablo 2 for. It has healing over time, it doesn't have actual real-time applying, everything is instantly used when you push the button.

I wanted to know of games that had healing done in realtime (or something like that), not instantly or in a time-freezing menu (nothing wrong with that for some games, they won't work without it). Actually I can name two, they don't really work to well though. In legend of zelda, you can heal yourself by drinking out of a bottle in real-time while the game is playing behind you, though you're invincible while this happens (or maybe time just stops... yeah that's probably what happens, nevermind). And then in Oblivion, you cast a spell that takes about 2 seconds to work, and you can be attacked while this is happening. But Oblivion is a bad example because the restoration spell is useless when you can just open up your menu and drink a bunch of potions, or just take the hit when you cast the spell, single attacks aren't worth anything in Oblivion, they don't throw you off your feet or cause you to grab your side in pain like in Lugaru.

In most games, this would just make gameplay ridiculesly harder. But in Lugaru, you don't need this extra help. So If you want to take a potion in combat, just do it, it's not that hard to run away and drink a vial. Because it's kinda wierd to determine for somebody else when then can heal or not. Distance, or if the guy is aware of you. Distance is a sure thing, but that's kinda annoying because you know you're safe but the game doesn't, thus you can't heal yourself. If it's determined by combat, then you could simply stitch your arm back up 5 feet away from an enemy with his back to you, that's not very efficient either. Heh heh, well good job if you happen to read this far (I usually read the last thing you say first though, don't know why).

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:10 am

In all of my games I aim for internal consistency; not so much for realism. However, when internal consistency is violated, there must be a very good reason for it. For example, a menu system is not supposed to actually be part of the game world; I never understood the cliche in survival horror games of going to your inventory to see your health status and instantly heal yourself. It is fine to freeze time in the menu so that you can look at all your choices and so forth, but you shouldn't be able to actually do things instantly.

In Lugaru 2 you will not be able to heal yourself instantly. You could try and dress your wounds in combat, but it is not likely to work very well. If you get into a bar fight and someone cuts you with a knife, it is really stupid to whip out your first aid kit and try and heal yourself; you would get stabbed ten times for each wound you treat. Time is the only real way to heal yourself, and salves and bandages will only speed up this process. However, you may be able to treat serious wounds in very simple ways during combat, such as pressing on a stab wound to reduce bleeding or immobilizing a broken arm by holding it with the other arm.

If you actually wanted to drink anything during combat, it would be a very tricky process. If you've seen Jackie Chan's The Legend of Drunken Master you may recall a scene that illustrates this quite effectively :) If you haven't seen that movie, you should, because it is great.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:51 am

David wrote:In all of my games I aim for internal consistency; not so much for realism. However, when internal consistency is violated, there must be a very good reason for it. For example, a menu system is not supposed to actually be part of the game world; I never understood the cliche in survival horror games of going to your inventory to see your health status and instantly heal yourself. It is fine to freeze time in the menu so that you can look at all your choices and so forth, but you shouldn't be able to actually do things instantly.

In Lugaru 2 you will not be able to heal yourself instantly. You could try and dress your wounds in combat, but it is not likely to work very well. If you get into a bar fight and someone cuts you with a knife, it is really stupid to whip out your first aid kit and try and heal yourself; you would get stabbed ten times for each wound you treat. Time is the only real way to heal yourself, and salves and bandages will only speed up this process. However, you may be able to treat serious wounds in very simple ways during combat, such as pressing on a stab wound to reduce bleeding or immobilizing a broken arm by holding it with the other arm.

If you actually wanted to drink anything during combat, it would be a very tricky process. If you've seen Jackie Chan's The Legend of Drunken Master you may recall a scene that illustrates this quite effectively :) If you haven't seen that movie, you should, because it is great.
In game How could you immobilize a broken arm in combat?
how do you control bleeding? will he automatically do so or What?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:21 am

Having your arm just suddenly smack onto your broken arm for some crazy reason as soon as an arm breaks would be:
  • • Unrealistic
    • A bit of a loss to playability
    • Extremely strange (Would the first thing you'd think of when your arm broke be "Immobilise Arm NOW or DIE!!!"?)
    • Even more unrealistic if it happens immediately
So, I don't think (And hope not) that it'd be automatic, and I think that David just said how you'd control bleeding:
…pressing on a stab wound to reduce bleeding…

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:40 am

I may have miss said the Control bleeding, i meant will Turner just automatically Try to Suppress the bleeding or will there be a key for it? or what is the story?