Fan segestions for Future Wolfire Projects

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products

What kind of games do you Prefer to play over all in list?

FPS (First person shooter) (Doom, Half Life)
28%
RTS (Real time Strategy) (Command and Conquer, Age of Empires)
12%
RPG (Role Playing games) (Zelda, Diablo)
16%
Arcade (Lighting Shadow, Jets'n'guns)
No votes
Action (Lugaru, Tomb Raider)
36%
Other (new Ideas? please share)
8%

Total votes: 25

Chainsaw man

Fan segestions for Future Wolfire Projects

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 am

Considering Lugaru 2 Is gonna be a rather future proofed as far as I understand, so David is gonna have plenty of time to do what he wants.
How ever, as fans go, we always have ideas for games, stories, character's, and what have you. I also added a Poll to maybe assist Wolfire in fan base market research, IF they are interested...

Are we ready?
Start sharing!

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri May 23, 2008 1:51 am

I'd kind of like to see David's take on the RTS genre. Not entirely sure he'd be interested though.

I'd like to something so amazingly unique that its release makes my brain explode.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 am

I had an Idea on what he should make earlier today but I forgot it.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri May 23, 2008 2:13 am

If I made an RTS it would probably be like Myth and Myth 2, all about tactics and not about resources and building.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 am

Adventure.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri May 23, 2008 4:06 am

I like Action-RPGs like Zelda, although Action/Adventure is great, too.

I would also like a Knytt-style game for the mac. 8)

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri May 23, 2008 7:53 am

David wrote:If I made an RTS it would probably be like Myth and Myth 2, all about tactics and not about resources and building.
You know David, I absolutely love those style of games, and have found a REAL lack of them for mac, let alone at all.
But I have found some, particular favorites of mine, they are: medieval Total war, Close combat (a Bridge too far), Battle of Brittan, Horror Squadron, and I think the name of one I liked by an Indi was Dropship.
Makrond wrote:I'd like to something so amazingly unique that its release makes my brain explode.
Because David is a programmer elite who knows what he is doing, I think he could pull it off quite well. I'm also sure David could tie it in with lugaru*. If not, it offers David another world to create and explore.
There is much one can do... So much time, so little we do with it...
BunnyWithStick wrote:I like Action-RPGs like Zelda, although Action/Adventure is great, too.
I like games with lots of variable customization, and looking at doing what will it turn out like. I had a thought about a game just now:

Your A Investigator of some kind. you choose particular characteristics, and flaws in personality, and you try to solve cases. These usually involve trying to find clues from foot prints, cups, guns, and anything, and using forensics to unlock clues. your character forms relationships with other people, doing so will get you tipped off on some crimes, and could get you bonuses as long as you keep being friends with them. Killing some one is no mission failed, but instead, you can not solve that case if there a important part, unless you use forensics, and willy nilly killing will result in your character getting his badge striped, a true game over.
The objective: guide your police mans life.

Note(*): Statement is confirmed on release of Lugaru 2.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Black Shades 2; Black Shades has so much incredible potential, it would be amazing to see it in a more fleshed-out form, multiplayer, co-op, more gametypes, all that good stuff 8)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 23, 2008 6:06 pm

3rd person adventure with fighting elements. Hasn't been done enough.

Edit: Although Wolfire Software is pretty weak in the story department. You should really work on that, guys.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri May 23, 2008 6:38 pm

I really don't think that they're that bad at the story making, most of their games were made in a very short amount of time and lugaru was made when david was in the eigth grade, so I really don't think we can say that their story "department" is bad

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri May 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Viking Zippy wrote:Black Shades 2; Black Shades has so much incredible potential, it would be amazing to see it in a more fleshed-out form, multiplayer, co-op, more gametypes, all that good stuff 8)
This is probably the likely to become Davids next project. How ever great a game, what made it create was its simplicity, and realism. particularly in aiming with those guns. The game did lack an In depth story, a campaign about Mr President (the man in white) could have gone as far as making sure assassins did not kill him when he was doing some of the most day to day things, like going to a Donut shop, going out to the car could have made it comedic, but objective made. However, simplicity was its charm.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 23, 2008 7:19 pm

I can't really say I've a definite preference, because I enjoy certain games from all the genres.

I love Half Life,
I love Age Of Empires,
I love Zelda,
I love Final Fantasy,
I love The Longest Journey,
I love Resident Evil.

If I had to choose, though, I'd say I probably play a lot of FPS games. Stuff like Halo and Red Faction and Black and Call Of Duty and Deus Ex and Half Life is the bulk of the types of games I play...probably.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Count Roland wrote:I really don't think that they're that bad at the story making, most of their games were made in a very short amount of time and lugaru was made when david was in the eigth grade, so I really don't think we can say that their story "department" is bad
If we're talking about the results, there's no good story. That's how it is. Doesn't matter what the cause is. There's something to improve. You can't deny that.

Don't you want better stories in Wolfire games? If you don't, you've got pretty low standards.

I don't really care about fancy shiny shader magic. I've got 2 priorities: Gameplay (whatever that means) and story. I didn't buy Lugaru for the story, it was pretty obvious from the start that that wasn't the good part about it.
If Lugaru 2 doesn't get the story right, there's still potential for gameplay. But I definitely won't pay for graphics in other Wolfire games. If I want good graphics, I get an AAA title.

It doesn't hurt to have cool graphics, but there's no real point to it from my perspective. You can't really compete with the big boys anyway since they deliver beyond the capabilities of small dev teams. Reach a certain standard and go from there with other aspects.
You can deliver on things like art style, gameplay, story and innovative features. That's where you've got to invest as an indy dev once you've got the basic tech down.

Wolfire soft hasn't invested enough into story so far, that's how it is for me.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri May 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Count Roland wrote:
rudel_ic wrote: Although Wolfire Software is pretty weak in the story department. You should really work on that, guys.
I really don't think that they're that bad at the story making, most of their games were made in a very short amount of time and lugaru was made when david was in the eigth grade, so I really don't think we can say that their story "department" is bad
Considering Davids age, story telling is a fraction more what you would expect to see in that age group. Lugaru was pretty good, it had a moral, but I think the let too much of the story go, it told you on the download page about the wolf conspiracy and was very to the point and very mater of fact. There was also as far as I could see, very little hints in game to make me think that Turner was a rebel, let alone who he was rebelling against, except maybe king Hickory towards the middle. My point is it was kinda obscure with history and details, but strait to the point of what was going on. Because of this, we can say that the Story department needs work, but Lugaru 2 is whats gonna be the decider, and what will give people great ffaith in Wolfire games.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Dude, stop making excuses.

I want better games, and I know where I want improvement.

I don't care about the background of a less-than-stellar story. There's my product, I judge it by what it is. If you don't do that when you pay 20 bucks, there's something wrong with you.