Dialogues that work, right from the map editor!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
ablationer

Post by ablationer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:09 pm

actually it doesn't work neither with the jack.txt , same thing happens...

For the Hex thing, I can say that I never tryed it, but if I can make my dialogues with this, I'm welling to give it a try.

I guess that if I can't make my dialogues out of it, i'll have to ask you to make them for me, but only if I'm sure that there is no other solution, since I don't really like when others do things for me...

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:02 pm

The post about hex-editing maps is here. Check "DIALOGUES".

There are tons of good free hex-editors, just google 'hex editor' and make your choice. Basically hex-editors just display the actual content of a file in numbers (left) and the text equivalent (right).

The numbers are in base 16 (aka hex). Here's how it works:
A -> 10, B -> 11, C -> 12, D -> 13, E -> 14, F -> 15
10 -> 1*16+0 = 16
11 -> 1*16+1 = 17
43 -> 4*16+3 = 67
3E -> 3*16+14 = 62

If the other post is not clear, but you still really want to edit dialogues, I can write some tutorial. Anything to get a new campaign :)

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:08 am

Sorry to resurrect this long-dead thread, but I'm working on dialogue and wondering what I need to do after I've set a camera angle. Do I press '0', then '1', then '2', etc? Or just '0' then '1' then '0' because of assigned speakers? I'm kind of confused.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:45 am

-keypad '0', keypad '1' etc just rotate the head of character 'n' so he faces the same direction as the camera.
-regular (not keypad) '0', '1' etc assign the current line to character 'n' and moves to the next dialogue line.

So you press '0', '1', '0' because of assigned speakers.

You're creating new levels? Awesome! :)

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:11 pm

I'm actually working on a campaign. It's gonna be pretty sweet...but all will be revealed in time.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:22 pm

I've been adding pre made dialogues (like "Example") to new maps that I've made. Everything works fine..after I enter the dialogue I move the character to a new spot and save. However, once I open the map and move towards the character with which the dialogue occurs, he attacks me like a normal enemy would, and no dialogue occurs.

I've been using

dialogue 11 Example

Can anyone offer some wisdom?

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:33 pm

Have you tried setting the map to be friendly?

I don't quite remember how to do that, but the way the maps work either all characters are enemies or all are friends.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:37 pm

wormguy wrote:Have you tried setting the map to be friendly?

I don't quite remember how to do that, but the way the maps work either all characters are enemies or all are friends.
I didn't know that, I will check on the wiki. Thanks.

So if this is true..you cannot fight enemies and then talk to someone at the end? It has to be a separate map.

edit: alright, it is working fine. Just type "hostile" into the console. I think you are right..maps are either completely friendly or hostile, which makes sense since that is the way the campaign is constructed.