Post Your Weird or Hellish Screenshots Here

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Thu May 17, 2007 12:07 pm

David wrote:Nice comic! Maybe you can fill the void left by Vib Rib :)
Maybe. Vib Rib's comics were hilarious, so I dunno if I can keep up with his awesome sense of humour :3

I've been meaning to do drawn comics but I still need more practice with my graphics tablet, so I suppose screenshot comics might work (If I do the dialogue boxes a little better and stuff.) Any tips for better camera control? I already know that C disconnects the camera from turner, but after that positioning turner is hellish since he doesn't move relative to the camera anymore. By the way, how do you take screenshots (to put in the screenshot folder) on a PC? I swear I did it once by accident but I can't figure how to do it again.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu May 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Um.. I dunno, I know you can prtscrn then paste it in paint, but thats all I know..

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Thu May 17, 2007 4:20 pm

Image Or at least pretty funny.

Can't help with the screens on a PC, but camera control is one thing I know something about.

C does drop the camera, but T then moves only in the four cardinal directions: N, S, E and W (I define W as North, sorta arbitrarily; you can figure out the rest). They may or may not conform to the same directions as before you dropped the camera.

Once I drop the camera, I usually hit slo-mo and then crouch-walk T around a bit to get my bearings. You can combine keys to go at 45 degrees, and after a while you should be able to get him where you want him. It can be a pain on the edge of blocks and rocks, though.

Another trick is to stand right next to a block or wall or rock; this forces the camera away from its usual path, and can lead to some cool angles. You can do this with the ground, too. Once you find something interesting, drop the camera and see if you can get something even better.

You can also make T crouch, swing the camera around him, and drop it in a position to get a good view of something on the ground, or even around a corner. This is good for looking at details of dead enemies or modded weapons.

If you use slo-mo, drop the camera, then run a long way off and hit C again, the camera will slowly travel back to T. This can allow you to select the best distance; just keep hitting C to start and stop. (If you use super-slo-mo, it can take a looooong time to get there.) If you're in map editor, however, you'll immediately return to T when you hit C again.

This trick is also good for following T at a distance (like when jumping off a block for a Death From Above) or for temporarily returning accurate motion control of T. Hit C, and as long as you finish your moves and hit C before the camera completes the trip, you'll still have a distant viewpoint.

This is good if you're trying to set up a fight sequence from a distance; you can move T into position, press your attack, then drop the camera again to record the action.

Another tip is to remember that the attacks, etc., are animations. Once they're started, you can move the camera around T without changing his orientation to get a better screen. But once the animation is over, T will move when you move the camera again or hit a movement key, but he'll stand still until you do.

This is how I made the knife throw GIF in the Favorite Ways to Kill thread with the camera angle that David liked. BTW,

Finally, if you want to get T to look in specific direction, at a certain distance and from certain angles he'll look right into the camera. You can then hit V to freeze him and move the camera. Sometimes he'll move slightly when you freeze the action, but he may move back where you want him if you hit the button a few times. Or not. Sometimes you can even drop the camera and he'll keep looking the same direction, but it's not something I've been able to control accurately.

Good luck.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu May 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Another small trick: air control still works relative to the camera after you use 'c'. That way you don't have to worry about changed directions for small adjustments.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Thu May 17, 2007 7:24 pm

Good point Silb; thanks for remembering that.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri May 18, 2007 7:36 am

What about taking GIFs? It says tap V twice to take a GIF but for some reason that doesn't work with me. I'll get to work on more comics as soon as I get a few ideas ^_^

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Fri May 18, 2007 9:18 am

Where does it say that?

Tapping V twice just starts and stops the action.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri May 18, 2007 9:24 am

Usagi wrote:Where does it say that?

Tapping V twice just starts and stops the action.
The Wolfire wikipedia page mentions this on "Slow Motion and Stop action":
Wolfire Wiki wrote:Pressing V while in debug causes the action to stop completely. This can be useful if you need time to gather your wits or decide on your next move. It can also come in handy in setting up a screenshot, or sequence of shots. Pressing V again will restart the action; pressing it twice quickly advances the action slightly, allowing a series of shots that can be used to create an animated GIF. Pressing V after killing the last enemy on a level will not prevent the "level cleared" screen from appearing.
Here's the page for proof.

...Aha! Now I see where I got confused. What it actually meant is that you can advance the action a frame, take a screenie, advance the action another frame and so on XD *slaps self in head*

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Fri May 18, 2007 10:23 am

Yah, I knew what it said, 'cuz I wrote it.

I thought maybe some other source of info had you confused.

The earlier versions of Lugaru had the a screenshot feature mapped to the F1 button. That was very handy; it put the shots into a folder in the game folder.

Now I only use CMD-shift-3. This takes a PNG and puts it on the desktop. I takes so many that my biggest problem is keeping track of them.

Don't know the set-up on a PeeCee.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri May 18, 2007 10:45 am

Usagi wrote:Yah, I knew what it said, 'cuz I wrote it.

I thought maybe some other source of info had you confused.

The earlier versions of Lugaru had the a screenshot feature mapped to the F1 button. That was very handy; it put the shots into a folder in the game folder.

Now I only use CMD-shift-3. This takes a PNG and puts it on the desktop. I takes so many that my biggest problem is keeping track of them.

Don't know the set-up on a PeeCee.
Well I'll see if I can help find the button for the PC because i swear I have one photo taken by accident, and knowing the button to take a screenshot directly into a folder will be handy, since I don't have to paste into paint and save every time I take a screenshot (since PrtScrn is like copy, where it only remembers the last thing copied, and overwrites it if there's a new input).

Update: Evidently it's still F1. Thanks Usagi for giving me an idea of where to start ^^

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri May 18, 2007 11:39 am

Hehe, nice comic. 8)

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri May 18, 2007 11:56 am

Nuky wrote:Hehe, nice comic. 8)
Thanks ^_^ I'm trying to think of more ideas for comics as we speak.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:42 pm

Wait...you guys take pictures while you have the screen frozen by way of the V key? That's...interesting. Am I the only one whose screen becomes excessively blurry, as in the amount of motion blur you'd see from falling off a cliff for 6 seconds, whenever it's frozen that way? I have to take pictures while moving if I don't want it to be that blurry.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Fri May 18, 2007 3:49 pm

Ultimatum479 wrote:Wait...you guys take pictures while you have the screen frozen by way of the V key? That's...interesting. Am I the only one whose screen becomes excessively blurry, as in the amount of motion blur you'd see from falling off a cliff for 6 seconds, whenever it's frozen that way? I have to take pictures while moving if I don't want it to be that blurry.
Best advice: If you're doing a photoshoot it'd be best to turn off motion blur in that case. I get the motion blur too, so I'm planning on turning it off for future shoots.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:55 pm

But I like motion blur. Meh. Is there a button which turns it on and off in mid-battle? (With debug, I assume.)