please to how can to can turn swords into BFG nuclear wepon?

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.

Nuclear weapons?

Yes
8%
Yes #2
No votes
Yes #3
3%
Yes #4
No votes
Yes #5
21%
Yes #6
16%
OMFGWTFBBQ #7
53%

Total votes: 38

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 am

You're basically writing dialogue. And as far as where you want your pauses and breaks to be when you talk, that's all up to you. You can put pauses and commas wherever you want, it just gives, people a better idea, of your voice, and whether you sound like, Christopher Walken, or not.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 am

David wrote:It is pretty silly arguing on the internet; so much meaning is lost in converting a statement to text on a page that any disagreement will just continue to polarize indefinitely.
There's also the fact that anonymity has a dehumanizing effect on any argument.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:42 am

David wrote:It is pretty silly arguing on the internet; so much meaning is lost in converting a statement to text on a page that any disagreement will just continue to polarize indefinitely.
This is why knowledge of grammar is important in order to minimize such "translation errors". But there's no point in this particular disagreement _being_ a disagreement: if Renegade would bother asking his English teacher about the proper use of a comma, looking it up online, or learning about it any other way, this would already be over.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 am

Ultimatum479 wrote:
This is why knowledge of grammar is important in order to minimize such "translation errors". But there's no point in this particular disagreement _being_ a disagreement: if Renegade would bother asking his English teacher about the proper use of a comma, looking it up online, or learning about it any other way, this would already be over.
No. I'm right.

I'm in college and have no "English teacher".
Ultimatum479 wrote:Oh, the irony...
If we're going to talk about conjuctions and complete sentences, then "the irony" is DEFINITELY not a complete sentence and therefore your statement was wrong I guess? But that would be a silly argument for me to make...wouldn't it? :D

I found the following at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asyndeton :

Aristotle wrote in his Rhetoric that this device was more effective in spoken oratories than in written prose:

"Thus strings of unconnected words, and constant repetitions of words and phrases, are very properly condemned in written speeches: but not in spoken speeches — speakers use them freely, for they have a dramatic effect. In this repetition there must be variety of tone, paving the way, as it were, to dramatic effect; e.g. 'This is the villain among you who deceived you, who cheated you, who meant to betray you completely.'" Aristotle, Rhetoric, Book III, Chapter 12 (trans. W. Rhys Roberts).

Enough proof that I'm right? I think so.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:41 am

o.o'

Did I start this?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Its like each of you is trying to get the final word...my God...Well, since neither of you is gonna give up...
I lost interest in this post somewhere along the line so I'm posting it half finished and you can make something of it.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Renegade Turner wrote:No. I'm right.
Ooh, that's mature.
Renegade Turner wrote:I'm in college...
Yes, I'm aware that standards have dropped these days. What's your point?
Renegade Turner wrote:..."the irony" is DEFINITELY not a complete sentence...
I never stated that it was, hence my lack of proper punctuation at the end of it. (Before you claim that "..." _is_ a proper way to end a sentence, I'll save you the trouble of being proven wrong again: "...." is, while "..." is not.)
Renegade Turner didn't realize what he was posting when he wrote:"Thus strings of unconnected words, and constant repetitions of words and phrases, are very properly condemned in written speeches: but not in spoken speeches — speakers use them freely, for they have a dramatic effect."
You really _are_ retarded. You posted something which disproves your claim and thought it was evidence for your side. I can't begin to describe how pathetic that is.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Do you notice where it says "and" and there's a comma before it? Yeah, STFU. No worries.

Don't be butthurt just because I disagreed with you.

"Why were you being immature in the wager thread? Oh my god you hurted my feelings! Immature! Ignorant! Pathetic!"

Spare me.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:30 pm

It's worth your precious time to look at the thread title and read the previous ~10 posts for sociology studying purposes alone.

tldr: wtf omg lol internet

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I get the feeling Godwin's Law is gonna come into effect pretty soon, in the form of "Grammar Nazi".

And might I point out that none of these misplaced commas would've actually caused any "Translation Errors"? They're perfectly readable either way, it just makes you sound funny.

Also, is it really that grammatically incorrect to put a comma before an "And"? It's generally accepted to be wrong, but half the time it seems appropriate, especially since a lot of people usually pause before they speak the word.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:36 pm

"That comma that you placed in that sentence was completely unnecessary, and was quite grammatically incorrect."

Ultimatum, why do you need to repeat the subject by including the word "it" in order to make it work? There is a comma rule that says you have to join two complete sentences in order to place a comma?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:20 pm

lulz it apeers every1 iz on meye siyed

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:45 pm

Could some one put this thread out of it's misery?

ktnx

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:52 am

Grammar is my b***h and I shall f**k her in the a** like a cheap Tijuana crack whore if I so desire.

End of discussion.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:58 am

Ah yes, putting it out of it's misery, hillbilly style. Or BFG style.