Dialogues that work, right from the map editor!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Silb
Master cartographer

Dialogues that work, right from the map editor!

Post by Silb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:40 am

Actually, dialogues in the map editor work. It's just that the command as documented in the DebugReadme has wrong arguments.

Proper usage is:
"dialogue [integer dialogue type] [string dialogue file name]"

For example:
"dialogue 1 jack"

Another useful command:
"fixdialogue [integer dialogue type] [string dialogue file name]"
This lets you replace the content of the dialogue without touching the camera angles (much like my program). Possibly more to come as I'm looking into this right now.

Not kidding!

EDIT: Further investigation yields:

> Parameter "[integer dialogue type]":
David wrote:The type value is what specifies how the dialogue functions. For example, if dialoguetype is 1, you activate the dialogue by approaching player 1 and pressing attack (if hostile is 0)

If it is 11, you just move near player 1 and the dialogue plays automatically (and then functions the same as 1).

21 is the same as 11, except after the dialogue, hostile is set to 1

31 is the same as 11, except after the dialogue, you win

41 is the same as 11, except it can occur during combat

51 is the same as 21, except every character is alerted to your presence.
> What happens when you trigger dialogue-editing mode:
David wrote:This is much like the mode when you watch a dialogue scene, except you can control the camera. You can use the numpad to set which direction characters' heads are facing (i.e. numpad zero sets Turner's head to point in the same direction the camera is facing, numpad one does this for player one, and so on). Then you press the number key (not on the numeric keypad) that corresponds to who is the speaker, and go to the next dialogue box. For example, pressing '0' assigns Turner to be the speaker, and then goes on to the next dialogue box.
> (Bug) What may happen after you edited a dialogue:
Sometimes Lugaru may crash, but you can still call the console and save the level. Then, quit and restart Lugaru, and your dialogue works fine.

> More undocumented map edition:
-Any of the commands "size", "proportion", "armor", "protection", "clothes", "noclothes", can be used with the suffix "near" to be applied to the nearest bunny. Ex: "clothesnear pants".
-Other undocumented commands with obvious effects: "armorreset", "protectionreset", "allimmobile". Also, "cellophane" makes everyone invisible, except for the shadows.
-Undocumented commands with effects yet to be discovered: "metal", "sizemin", and perhaps more importantly, "fixrotation", "fixtype".

Further dialogue tricks:
- Dialogues that are triggered only once can be cumulated on the same character, in such a way that the dialogue is different when you go see him again (ie you can put two dialogues of type 11, or one of type 11 then one of type 21).
- I've tried all the different dialogue triggers David listed and they worked for me. 51 can have interesting results. 41 is always triggered from the start of the level; at the end of the dialogue the camera travels from the position you where when you saved the level to the position you've been teleported to for the dialogue.
Last edited by Silb on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:05 pm

Hm. Cool.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:25 pm

If you dont mind my saying:

[outbreak]HOLY EFF![/outbreak]

Wow! Now I can dress the naked bunnies that I put in in fortress, a winter environment. This is so great that someone found all of this out!

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Wow, Silb hacked the game! 8)

Nicely done

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:18 am

Eh, it wasn't too hard… :roll:

JUST KIDDING!!! :D

This is GREAT, AMAZING, I won't be discouraged by needing to work with a dialogue in an existing level that has a fixed number of sections and… ooh, this is going to be GREAT! :D :D :D

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:55 am

Ok, I very quickly put together a helpful dialogue help file by taking two of david's helpful but not helping solve the now-solved problem posts, and Silb's VERY HELPFUL POST, so…

Here is the file!

I hope that helps you quickly get dialogue references! :)

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 pm

I swear this still doesn't work for me.
I create a text file off of Example.txt, call it joe.txt. Go into the game, start up a non-hostile map (say, start1), erase all the dialogue and HotSpots that's there already, and type :

Code: Select all

dialogue 3 joe
Half the time, the camera focuses on Turner and does nothing. The rest of the time, it'll start up directing mode, but it'll usually have the wrong number of textboxes, they'll be the wrong colors, and they'll be completely empty! No words or speaker, just the colon.
I've tried

dialogue 1 Example
just to see if the format of my TXT was wrong, and the same thing happens.

I must be missing something.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sat May 06, 2006 2:25 pm

I think you should try it on another map, maybe one of your own, maybe another campaign level, but for some reason start1 hasn't been the most cooperative. You might want to do it on a map without any dialogue, since that seems to mess it up for me. Either that, or delete the dialogue you want to replace before doing it. It's usually all the nitpicking that gets me.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sat May 06, 2006 4:43 pm

No luck. Tried emptying out from one of the Challenge levels, clearing everything, spawning a new guy, and giving him dialogue, either my own or the original Example.txt. Same results: Half the time it'd just focus on Turner, the rest of the time it'd go into director mode correctly but with no words and the wrong amount/color of text boxes.
Interestingly, when using

dialogue 11 Example
and having the camera snap back to Turner instead of going into director mode, then when I approached the corresponding player, it wouldn't trigger dialogue, but it would set the camera back to the same position it had snapped to when I entered the command in the first place.

In all of the previous cases, saving a map after assigning dialogue (whether or not director mode was properly executed), the game would freeze when trying to load any of these levels. Maps with my own assigned dialogue would not work, no matter what, when loaded.

ablationer

Post by ablationer » Sun May 07, 2006 4:51 pm

I've got the same problem...

I'm wondering something , how come that you would need to put a .txt in the dialogues folder , when there are actually none in there except the Example one ... And I'm totally lost when you get to this part :
David wrote:This is much like the mode when you watch a dialogue scene, except you can control the camera. You can use the numpad to set which direction characters' heads are facing (i.e. numpad zero sets Turner's head to point in the same direction the camera is facing, numpad one does this for player one, and so on). Then you press the number key (not on the numeric keypad) that corresponds to who is the speaker, and go to the next dialogue box. For example, pressing '0' assigns Turner to be the speaker, and then goes on to the next dialogue box.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed May 10, 2006 7:32 am

Perhaps I have an old version of Lugaru, but my dialogue folder includes all dialogues from the game. I've uploaded it here.

Not sure this'll help, though. Use the dialogue editor. :P

(May 1st is one of the three weeks of holidays Chinese get in a year, so I was away for some time)

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Bubdub

Post by Vib Rib » Wed May 17, 2006 1:11 am

From the other thread:
Silb wrote:If [this doesn't work] and you've already written the dialogues, PM me the files and I'll create them.
Create them how? Director's mode and everything? I don't understand. I'd like to have some control over it.
You mentioned the dialogue files for you were in your dialogues folder? Not so for me... odd. The only dialogue file I can find in any of the directories is the example.txt and even that won't work right using either your commands or the ones in the debug -- just give the error as seen previously.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed May 17, 2006 2:23 am

There's a link to the other dialogues in my previous post.

I was thinking along the lines of: you write your dialogues in dialogue files, create the levels, and send the whole thing to me. All you would lack control over are camera angles, but you can send some sketchy storyboard if you want. Since dialogues work for me, it'd be quick.

ablationer

Post by ablationer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:51 am

(i flushed my old post since i actually understood what was the directing mode thing , when finally it worked when i did the dialogue command)

actually , now i am at the same point as Vib , i made the dialogues , use the command , but then most of the time there is no directing mode , the camera only focus on turner , and then nothing ... else it actually goes in directing mode , but there is no text , and the sounds are the wrong ones (wolf barking) , i can move and set the angles for the heads , but after 2 lines (me and the one to who i'm talking) it stops , like as if it was the end of the dialogue ...

I was wondering , Silb and Staffshock did manage to make them work right ? And if I'm not wrong they both use Mac , I use Windows and if I'm not wrong I think that's what Vib uses too , so , would it be possible that's where the problem is ? Some system compatibility issue ?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:56 am

Make sure that you use a valid dialogue file. Anything can happen if there's just one line wrong. Try this one.

If it really doesn't work, then -
- If you can use a hex editor, then you can modify the original dialogues. That's what I did for Temple, so it works. I know I wrote a guide for this at the time. I could find it back if you're interested.
- If you know some C, you can port my dialogue editor for Windows. Apparently it doesn't work right of the bat, but it should be easy to adapt. As far as I know, it works on OS X and Linux.
- Buy a mac :P
- Same as above.
- Install Linux.
- If you don't know about C or hex editing, you can PM me your dialogue files and your levels, and tell me which goes where. You'll only lack control on the camera angles (since I'll create them).