Wolves...

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Cyberpawz

Wolves...

Post by Cyberpawz » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:54 am

The first Wolf I meet kicks my bottom like there is no tomorrow... any way of beating them? Rabbits seems so easy compared to them...

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:42 am

Get a staff somehow, duck and legsweep to knock them down, then hit them with the staff on the ground.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:50 am

There is no staff on that level, so I will give tips relevant to knife and unarmed fighting.

Fastest methods to kill a wolf:
A) Throw a knife into him, then sweep him and roll over him and pull the knife back out
B) Leg cannon him directly into a tree or rock

Strategies to defeat wolves:
A) Use fast attacks like the sweep -> ground kick, and light punch -> spin kick combo. The wolf claw attack is faster than your heavy punch and spin kick.
B) Do not use the knife slashing attack; unlike rabbits, wolves are not stunned by knife slashes
C) Do not run around on insane mode or the wolf will tackle you and bite your neck.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:23 am

I forgot about launching corpses at him. I think two will kill him. To launch a corpse crouch next to one then click.

DudetheCreator

strategy

Post by DudetheCreator » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:47 am

Here is my strategy:

-On the level with three wolves, do the white one first, he is the easiest, at first run away, jump and mid-air-roll (flip) to get distance. Lure him away from the map into the flat areas. Turn around and face him. As he runs toward you tap the mouse button as fast as possible. If he gets close your person will hit him unless he kicks low. If he does kick low, get up and do a reversal (shift) when he attacks you. Continue with this method (run a little, tap, if hits shift). This method does not work for the other wolves. I find it best to run to the flat area, turn and face him, and just do reversals as he attacks you. If you can get a good punch in then do it. But don't spin kick, he can easily get you if you do that.

-On the wolf den level. (you should have taken the sword from the previous level, if you didn't then your screwd.) Just lure them away one by one and attack them with the sword, they will grab it. Then you attack them and you will grab the sword. The sword will go back and forth for a long time. But you won't get very hurt. Do this and if your lucky you might hit them. Or crouch and attack to knock them down then run over to them and hit shift-click to stab them on the ground.

Oh yeah, when anybody spin kicks at you, you have three options.

1- flip back (back and click)
2- duck (shift) and stay down (holding shift) and attack. You will take out his legs with a good kick, if someone does this to you, tap shift and you will do a reversal and punch him in the head.
3- reversal, duck (shift) until his leg is over you, then let go of shift, you will do a reversal, often KO on rabbits

Staff fighting:

Staff is not an incredibly good weapon unless you know how to use it. New players will often find that you spend most of your time passing it back and forth between you and your enemy. To end this, grab the staff from him like normal (attacking) and he will get knocked down, when he is down, hit him with the staff. He/She will most likely die.

Getting out of a "rag-doll-plummet":

Quite often you will find yourself flying through the air, unable to control yourself, whirling around like a rag doll. If you just got hit my a wolf or staff, you will most likely die on impact with the ground. To get out of this, do flips (shift while in the air). Sometimes you may have to hold a direction key to make it work.

That's all the strategies I can think of now, if I remember more, I will post them.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:06 pm

Thats.. realy good. I'm stunned.

DudetheCreator

thx

Post by DudetheCreator » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Now,

Getting out of reversals:

Hit back and click. This works most of the time, but you have to be quick.

zborgerd

Post by zborgerd » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:07 pm

I figured I should revive this topic. Those wolves can be fun to fight and I'd like to share more technique in beating them.

I find that it's best to just *never* slow down. Sweep his feet and then juggle him, with a kick, or kick him in the crotch when he's down. Follow him to wherever he'll get up from the ground. I find that it works best to just never let up. Leg cannon him once or twice, if he grabs you, turn it into a roll and get up and leg cannon him again. They get hurt pretty badly if you smash them into something. Whatever you do, do not stand still and do not spend too much time in a melee with these guys. They'll tear you up.

If lots of hand to hand combat isn't your style with these guys (they can take lots of practice)...

Try to kill another enemy first; a rabbit, perhaps. Run away from a wolf, and roll over the dead carcass of one of the enemies you've already killed... Turn, and pummel the wolf with the dead body of one of your previous victims. This often works on multiple wolves, but you need to make sure you score a direct hit. Those wolves might nail you if you don't get out of the way - fast!

Another fun tactic... If you have a staff, run up behind one and just smack him over the head. You can often score a quick hit and kill them with little effort. Alternately, trip the wolf and then smash him repetedly while hes on the ground. Staffs are best used in a cowardly fashion.

Super cheap method... Sweep him every time he gets up. Your points will be terrible, and it will take a long time to kill him, but it works (It's the tactic I used in the final battle before I really got the hang of fighting wolves).

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:26 pm

Mega cheap tactic: Turn on debug mode, run next to a wolf and press "i".
Hyper cheap tactic: Turn on debug mode, run around untill all wolves follow you in a dense pack and press "Shift+i".
Uber cheap tactic: Turn on debug mode, sweep the wolf, open the console before he touches the floor, enter "slomo 0.01", close the console and press "b" rapidly when the wolf hits the ground.
Ultra cheap tactic: Turn on debug mode, turn on map mode, fly 15 meters high, turn off map mode and land on the wolf's head.

And finally, here's the cheapest way to get rid of wolves: Turn off your computer. Saves money as well.

(Just kidding..)

Nagypapi

Insane difficulty

Post by Nagypapi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:37 pm

Never play a map in insane difficulty with more then 1 wolf before going to bed. It gets you so damn annoyed after a while :)
One bad move, and you have about 80% chance that the wolf's reversal will kill you instantly

You don't really have time to launch corpses at him, he will mow you down before you have a chance of aiming :)
btw: if I'm very far, bearly in visible (by that I mean the engine's visibility) distance to an attacking wolf, and I'm crouching, the wolf will suddenly appear in front of me, and will mow me down, is that a bug?

In lower levels I usually swept his legs, but here he sometimes counterattacks which means I'm good as dead.

Tactics I use which if done patiently and well timed work quite well:
1.when wolf is rushing towards you jump up, if he's very near do a sommersault in the air and try to land behind him.
2. If you're not behind him, try running behind him, you have a teeny bit of time to do that. I wouldn't advise attacking him from front, because you have a 30% chance of getting reversed, and that means probable death.
3. If you're behind him, spin-kick him or just punch him until he falls.
4. Try to stand beside his fallen body, so that when he gets up, he should have his back turned to you. Keep the attack button pressed before he gets up, so when he does he'll get a punch and fall over again.
5. If he managed to roll away, do steps 1-4.
6. If something doesn't work, roll and jump away from him as fast as you can. If you roll too close to him, he will kick your little bunny ass which means your dead again :)

btw: Impatience kills you :)

Fast wolf killer tactic:
Use a knife
step 1 is same as before, but when you're using a knife, the enemies will back of if you sommersault in the air. After a few times, if you're lucky, you will be able to land behind him.
If you're superlucky, you will kill the wolf with one slash with your dagger

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:41 pm

Check out the wiki, http://wolfire.com/wiki which has a lot of strategies on it.

zborgerd

Post by zborgerd » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:28 pm

I've found that, after a lot of practice, it simply works out best to let him attack first, and then counter and just kick him around a bit. After you get pretty good at it, countering wolves becomes pretty easy.

BlackEdder

Post by BlackEdder » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:13 am

Hi guys, I just bought this game and am also kinda stuck here, (although I'm getting better :)).

Mostly I was wondering if there is a way to sneak up on wolves. I read on the wiki to be aware of the direction of the wind, but am unsure how to see which direction the wind comes from :)
Also I read something about jumping behind them and then you can do a spinecrusher, but I haven't managed this yet (I managed a couple of death from aboves though).
Sometimes I manage to get close enough to at least throw my knife in their backs, but they often smell/hear me before I'm close enough

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:19 am

BlackEdder wrote: Also I read something about jumping behind them and then you can do a spinecrusher, but I haven't managed this yet (I managed a couple of death from aboves though).
You can't actually sneak up on them from behind, the only way is to jump and land precisely behind them, without haveing alerted the wolf previously.

BlackEdder

Post by BlackEdder » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:27 pm

Ok thx, guess I will have to practise that. I did complete the level though, due to my enormous fighting skills.

I do enjoy the sneaking up to rabbits and spinecrush them a lot :)

EDIT: The spinecrushing of wolves works now. The problem was that I was jumping from crouched position, that way he will notice you before you land. If you jump from standing/running position he won't notice till it's to late.